Surprise

Help Support CattleToday:

Rosielou

Reaction score
I have 5 heifers due soon and have been checking every afternoon. One bagged up fairly early and has been looking like it'll be any day for about a week. Two others were just beginning to bag up, weren't looking close. Today I checked the one who I thought would be calving any day now, but still no calf. To my surprise, one of the other two had a black bull calf by her that was born sometime last night/early morning. Of course it's one I don't expect but I am glad it's one less heifer to worry about.
tumblr_o1izojTfEb1rdftrko1_500.jpg

For all the cows so far I have only lost one to a cow that aborted. We kept her up for a bit but she seemed to have passed it all on her own. Otherwise 13 out of 23 total have calved fine, 8 bulls. The bull I had last year did a good job on tightening the calving window this year. I'm hoping in May I might see a calf out of the new bull, but I doubt it.

Glad to hear things are going well. I have been missing your posts. Thanks for sharing the pictures . Good to hear from you.

Thanks!! I have been online, just not posting.

I think I jinxed myself lol. Today that heifer finally calved and calf had to pulled. Big black bullcalf but wasn't a hard pull and it is alive and both are doing really well. I don't think the calf was 100+ lb but birthweight was more than I liked for a heifer. She has lots of milk, I should post a picture of her udder. 2/5 heifers done.

I guess I should stop making posts about everything going good. Bull I bought in august hurt himself breeding a cow sometime since saturday, closest vet does not see large animals and the closest one that does can't see him until wednesday. Small animal vet went ahead and sold us medicine until we can take him in. I went ahead and called the breeder and he is delivering a 16 month old red with white underbelly bm so the cows will still get bred while/if he recovers fully. :bang:

That's a nice looking pair. Mom looks like she's gonna be a good mother through out the years for you. I really like her build.

Good looking heifer with that last calf. Hope next time you won't have to pull the calf. Looks like shes going to milk good from what you can see in the picture. Hope the bull gets better.