Surprise Farm Visitor

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I saw something coming across one of my fields dark and rather larger so I drove up closer to it then all of a sudden this big 7 -8' tall black bear stood up look at me and hauled arse back into the woods I tried to get it on my camera but didn't get it. Does anyone else have bear on their property that they know of? That was pretty weird to me out of being there for 10 years I had never saw one before I guess as long as hes a respectful visitor and only eats my berries and fruit he can reside there until hunting season ... lol

After the fires in the Okefenokee we had a few bears come this way and show themselves from time to time. They mostly hang out around the bee hives. Never got very close to any of them cause I must have injun in me cause they run from me too.

Jogeephus":lclfgnl1 said:
After the fires in the Okefenokee we had a few bears come this way and show themselves from time to time. They mostly hang out around the bee hives. Never got very close to any of them cause I must have injun in me cause they run from me too.

:lol: or maybe the bear saw some pictures of your C.T. Posts of the food you make and figured he already escaped one fire and didn't want to be on your pics while smoking in your big smoker.

I see sign of them in my pasture fairly regularly. I don't actually see them very often but I do from time to time. They are pretty shy. They can live pretty close to people and rarely be seen. I have lots of pictures of them on game cameras in my fields. My GF spotted one a couple of weeks ago. She sure got excited about it.

Sky I hate to ruin a good story with details but an 8 foot bear is a decent size brown bear. Black bears are considerably smaller than that as a rule. Not that 8 foot black bears don't exist. But at 8 foot that would be one huge black bear. They look bigger than they actually are. if you want I will bring a tape and we can measure him. And it is my tape so you hold the bear still while I measure.

Dave":2l9g7sr7 said:
I see sign of them in my pasture fairly regularly. I don't actually see them very often but I do from time to time. They are pretty shy. They can live pretty close to people and rarely be seen. I have lots of pictures of them on game cameras in my fields. My GF spotted one a couple of weeks ago. She sure got excited about it.

Sky I hate to ruin a good story with details but an 8 foot bear is a decent size brown bear. Black bears are considerably smaller than that as a rule. Not that 8 foot black bears don't exist. But at 8 foot that would be one huge black bear. They look bigger than they actually are. if you want I will bring a tape and we can measure him. And it is my tape so you hold the bear still while I measure.

Dave,
I grew up bear hunting with family I know thats a good size bear is and he is one. I gauged his height because he was next to my fence which is 5' above the ground he was no where near 5' at all nor 6' as I am 6'2" The largest bears including the state record bear was taken not to far from my place. Dave however I appreciate your willingness to let hold the bear will you measure him I will pass while he is not double tapped by my .270 lol I will gladly hold him for you after he has been double tapped lol Check this out...
http://wtvr.com/2012/12/13/at-674-pound ... va-record/

Bears are supposed to be making a big come back here in Ky. There expanding the season.

One of my places is infested with them. About two months ago my old gelding just didn't want to go down through the creek and then when he did I COULD NOT get the handful of cows in that holding field back out and it was about the same spot. They just kept breaking back on me and running over the dogs. Finally I pushed them out a different gate and ALLLL the way back around to the corals that they were previously only about a hundred yards from and had no problems. I stepped off and went down to the truck to get a drink and a bear popped up on the other side of the flatbed. :lol:
That bear sighting explained a lot. During weaning time I had a gate that I myself struggle with as it's heavy and drags get open and let a bunch of three day weaned calves out that took me a few days to get gathered back up... Now I know what happened.
Last year I had a monster of a bear lurking around. You can tell by the size of the ears, if they've grown into their ears they're BIG. I saw him once up close and knew I had a problem. He disappeared somewhere along the way. I didn't get him but I think I know where he went and if I'm right he's gone as that place lost over twenty head of calves to bears last year.

Bear population is on the rebound here. There is one sow raising twin cubs here. Couple weeks ago one (probably 200#) ran out of a field I mow for hay and a got hit by a truck. I think the guys cutting timber scared him out. The old Hen saw one recently on her morning walk.

fitz

I've got 3 bears that are resident on one place. We ran into them almost literally while running electric fence.
Do they cause problems with calves? Never heard of bears taking calves here.

I wouldn't expect any cattle problems from black bears. If so, it would have to be a biggn and mighty hungry.
My Great Grandma ran one out of her smokehouse with a garden hoe once. Wasn't going to let it leave with a ham. Not many of those grandmas around anymore. Tough old Gal.

fitz

I wonder how many more are out there. I haven't heard from anyone that they were causing a problem yet but alot of people said they see them all the time.

The closest I've ever been to a live wild bear was out in the Uncompahgre National Forest in Western Colorado. I sat down on a downed tree with one of my hunting buddies and looked behind where we were sitting and saw fresh bear dung with some steam coming off of it. We started looking around for him and lucky for all of us as we didn't see him.

The closest I've been to a dead bear was also out there. There were two guys that had one tied on to the top of their old Bronco, blamed ole bear had caved the roof in for them.

Fly-guy":16ny5mvq said:
The closest I've ever been to a live wild bear was out in the Uncompahgre National Forest in Western Colorado. I sat down on a downed tree with one of my hunting buddies and looked behind where we were sitting and saw fresh bear dung with some steam coming off of it. We started looking around for him and lucky for all of us as we didn't see him.

The closest I've been to a dead bear was also out there. There were two guys that had one tied on to the top of their old Bronco, blamed ole bear had caved the roof in for them.

:lol:

Latest posts