Supplementation stragety

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty Britches

Reaction score
Ok, I finally got my hay tests back.

Lot 1 - 2.9% CP Coastal hay, some weeds, string wrap
Lot 2 - 6.7% CP Jiggs, no weeds, string wrap
Lot 3 - 14.2% CP Coastal hay, no weeds, net wrap

I also planted rye grass over 2/3 of the pasture and clover over 1/3.

I'm trying to figure out supplementation stragety. Should I:

A. Feed Lot 3 first, then Lot 2, then Lot 1. Supplement liquid protein for Lot 2 and 1 while they graze the rye grass and clover

B. Alternate lot 3 and lot 1 to reduce supplements as much as possible. by the time we finish those 2 lots, we will be well into grazing rye grass and clover.

C. Feed lot 3 first while the rye grass and clover come up, then lot 1 while grazing rye and clover, then lot2 to finish up the winter

D. Feed lot 3 and 2, hope there is enough winter grazing that I don't have to feed lot 1. Not worry about supplements.

E. Feed whatever is convenient.

F - any other suggestions?

Funny - all of the hay looks and smells great. The cows definately prefer lot 3 over lot 1.

id feed the lowest qualty hay while you was grazing your winter pasture.an id also put it out with your best hay.an let them eat both good an bad hay.an id do the other hay the same way.you might have to fill your lick tank to get them to eat the low quatity hay.but im really not sure.

Tracey

I'd recommend feeding lot 3 first, then lots 2 &1 while on ryegrass and clover. Your cows should need to graze the ryegrass/clover for only 2 hours/day- 3 days per week to get the needed protein. This limited amount of protein will greatly enhance the digestion of low quality forage. After just a few times they get used to being moved off the ryegrass with no problem.

Do a google search for time limited grazing.

Cargill liquid supplement good stuff will really make them clean up sorry hay and maintain condition.

Caustic,

Would you post a Texas contact for CLS? I couldn't find anything on their web site.

Thanks,
Farmgirl

Thanks, CB.

We normally do use QLF liquid from Producer's Cooperative in Bryan, but we were hoping to minimize that. Most likely, we'll start using it when we use up Lot 3 hay. I really like the convenience of it and you are right - they do very well on it and have never failed to maintain condition.

This is the first year we've planted winter forage, so I was hoping to reduce the use of the QLF.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Caustic Burno":yh3rbgaz said:
Dusty Britches":yh3rbgaz said:
CLS? What's that? I might, but call it something different.

Cargill liquid supplement good stuff will really make them clean up sorry hay and maintain condition.

How does it compare in cost to something like Crystalyx?

tom4018":u1hz2y8n said:
Caustic Burno":u1hz2y8n said:
Dusty Britches":u1hz2y8n said:
CLS? What's that? I might, but call it something different.

How does it compare in cost to something like Crystalyx?
It'll be sgnficantly cheaper than tubs, esp crystalyx, particularly if compared on a $/protein unit basis.

Latest posts