Magnesium(Dolomite) supplementation

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I am interested in finding out how people address magnesium supplementation for their cows. I usually make up a lick mix of dolomite,salt and molasses for my cows. Is this adequate or should I be dusting the pasture as well - I do dust pasture every so often. Anyway I would rather get it right than lose a cow to magnesium deficiency. What do you guys do?

PS: I have tried to post a response on the "Breeds Board" but cannot - so thanks to all who helped out there.

[email protected]

I feed a loose complete mineral that has adequat levels of Magnesium in it.

The mineral I use for developing females in milk is Cattle Breeder CTC, mineral for Mature cow herd and developing bulls & replacements is 32s Plus, these are both produced by Vigortone, but you can try Mooremans, or any other complete loose mineral.

[email protected]

Besides regular loose mineral mixes, al of the companys produce a Hi-Mag version. We vhange from regular minerals to Hi-Mag in February so that the levels will be hgih enough when the fresh fast growing grass comeson and the ladys start calving. Putting it on the pasture will help the asture soil, but the uptake of the lime in the feed is marginal. What it does in a pasture is frees up the other minerals that the plants need to grow well

dun

> I am interested in finding out how
> people address magnesium
> supplementation for their cows. I
> usually make up a lick mix of
> dolomite,salt and molasses for my
> cows. Is this adequate or should I
> be dusting the pasture as well - I
> do dust pasture every so often.
> Anyway I would rather get it right
> than lose a cow to magnesium
> deficiency. What do you guys do?

> PS: I have tried to post a
> response on the "Breeds
> Board" but cannot - so thanks
> to all who helped out there.

[email protected]

Dolomite is calcium not magnesium.

To supplement magnesium you need magnesium oxide, or a mineral containing that.

Magnesium oxide is about 56% magnesium, so you need to adjust the amount fed to match the need.

Magnesium is also bitter so cows need to have the taste masked if they need to be supplimented.

Jason

Thanks guys - interesting. How do you feed this out - I run my cattle on pasture and put blocks out for them to lick or dust pasture.

For Jason, you are correct dolomite contains calcium, but in actual fact dolomite is a Calcium Magnesium Carbonate CaMg(CO3)2. The mix is roughly two parts calcium to one part magnesium (2:1). Was a geo in another life...

I will however look at the other sources of Mg. The dolomite I use is mined locally and is popular amongst local dairy farmers for its Ca and Mg content.

[email protected]

It's difficult using bloacks for the animals to get enough of the mierals they require. We use a barrel with a hole cut in one side and hanging from a tree for the loose minerals, we also provide a white salt blaock in another area so they don't over use (totally destroy) any one area. There are also mineral feeding stations that are mounted on skids so you can move them from area to area to spread out the useage ofthe pasture.

dun

> Thanks guys - interesting. How do
> you feed this out - I run my
> cattle on pasture and put blocks
> out for them to lick or dust
> pasture.

> For Jason, you are correct
> dolomite contains calcium, but in
> actual fact dolomite is a Calcium
> Magnesium Carbonate CaMg(CO3)2.
> The mix is roughly two parts
> calcium to one part magnesium
> (2:1). Was a geo in another
> life...

> I will however look at the other
> sources of Mg. The dolomite I use
> is mined locally and is popular
> amongst local dairy farmers for
> its Ca and Mg content.

[email protected]

You learn something new everyday.

I guess dolomite might work as a mg suppliment then if you can get the cattle to injest enough.

I forget the amount you need as a suppliment, but I know a good resource is the university at Colombia in Missouri.

If you are sure they need extra, mixed with grain is the most sure way to get it into them, (but also the most work).

Jason

Thanks again dun and Jason, that is helpful advice. I'll try the drum idea and may try out some other sources of Mg too. Will check out that University resource too. Cheers.

[email protected]

If you're interested I can take some pictures and include the dimensions and position of the hole and hanger for the barrel type mineral feeder. Let me know if you're interested.

dun

> Thanks again dun and Jason, that
> is helpful advice. I'll try the
> drum idea and may try out some
> other sources of Mg too. Will
> check out that University resource
> too. Cheers.

[email protected]

Hi dun Yes please! Thank you that is a very kind offer and much appreciated.

(I thought I posted this a few days ago but have just checked and it wasn't there - so here it is again).

Thank you and Happy New Year!

[email protected]

Latest posts