Super baldies

Help Support CattleToday:

co3

Reaction score
Due to an injury 3 years ago in which I had to sell my herd, I have now recovered well enough to be able to get a herd going again. I have raked my brain trying to decide what direction I would go in. Seed stock or commercial? Well decided to go back commercial so I will start of with 20 Angus bred heifers and when its time re- breed I would like to A.I. to a black baldy Simmental or similar SimAngus. Would this type of bull produce a baldy calf? Would he have to be homozygous black with a white face or motley face? Has any one have any breeding experience with this type of cross? Thanks fellers.

Unless the Simmental or SimAngus bull has a lot of white on him you'll still get many solid colored calves. Though some will pass the chrome on to their offspring a little more than others.

co3":x32xto5x said:
I will start of with 20 Angus bred heifers and when its time re- breed I would like to A.I. to a black baldy Simmental or similar SimAngus. Would this type of bull produce a baldy calf?
No.
Because....
I believe technically the definition of a Black Baldy is a Hereford crossed with solid black cattle usually black angus.

But then again I see Sim-Angus breeders stealing the name Balancer to market their bulls when I'm pretty sure Balancers
are technically only suppose to be Gelbvieh x Angus.

There is way too much marketing in cattle these days. Everybody has a specialty term for his particular thing. For example Ultrablack is the same thing as a Brangus. It is a Brahman x Angus. Every kind of ABC mix has its own little fiefdom now. Black Herefords, Balancers, Limflex, Ultrablack, Southern Poll Grass Cattle, etc.

Good cattle speak for themselves without the bumper sticker crap people stick on em.

JWBrahman":ngtmjfa0 said:
There is way too much marketing in cattle these days. Everybody has a specialty term for his particular thing. For example Ultrablack is the same thing as a Brangus. It is a Brahman x Angus. Every kind of ABC mix has its own little fiefdom now. Black Herefords, Balancers, Limflex, Ultrablack, Southern Poll Grass Cattle, etc.

Good cattle speak for themselves without the bumper sticker crap people stick on em.

I generally agree with you, but I'm pretty sure Ultrablacks are 1/2 Angus and 1/2 Brangus, which isn't the same as Brangus.

Put a Hereford bull on your Angus. Keep the best Black Baldie heifers then put a Brangus or Balancer bull on them and you have a Super Baldie.

Son of Butch":yqrrgeu4 said:
co3":yqrrgeu4 said:
I will start of with 20 Angus bred heifers and when its time re- breed I would like to A.I. to a black baldy Simmental or similar SimAngus. Would this type of bull produce a baldy calf?
No.
Because....
I believe technically the definition of a Black Baldy is a Hereford crossed with solid black cattle usually black angus.

But then again I see Sim-Angus breeders stealing the name Balancer to market their bulls when I'm pretty sure Balancers
Imust be the odd bodkin in this deal. To me a black baldy is a coloration, not a pecific make up of breeds. In smallish dairy country a black baldy may be a Hereford x Holstein, occasioanlly a Hereford x Angus. We have a black baldy that is out of Granny (black angus) sired by a red blaze faced Fleckvieh, her daughter sired by a Hereford is a black baldy also. Theyre both bred to Red Angus this year so we may get red or black baldys, red neckers or brockle face or solid red.

Rafter I was told that Ultrablack is officially 3/4 Gardiner Black Angus & 1/4 JDHudgins Grey Brahman. :?:

Kingfisher":1nrz22ra said:
Put a Hereford bull on your Angus. Keep the best Black Baldie heifers then put a Brangus or Balancer bull on them and you have a Super Baldie.
This is what I've always heard refered to as a super baldie. I agree with dun though that its just a color and not a breed and what makes them anymore super than any other black cow with a white face. JW is right its just a marketing ploy.

Although I do like them myself! :cboy:

JWBrahman":18e8vt8y said:
Rafter I was told that Ultrablack is officially 3/4 Gardiner Black Angus & 1/4 JDHudgins Grey Brahman. :?:
No. Ultra Black is a Registered Brangus X Registered Black Angus. The resulting calf is registered Ultra Black with the IBBA. They are very marketable here, giving just enough Brahman characteristics to improve them, but not get docked for too much leather and ear.
Most of the West Coast Brangus breeders here raise both Brangus and Ultra Blacks.

Maybe think about putting a FB (Fleck) Simmental on Angus cows. If you want the Simmental in the mix then that would probably be your best bet for getting a black baldy calf. Flecks are getting a lot better to work with as far as cavling goes. A badly PB Sim bull on black Angus will probably get the majority of your calves solid black. Maybe a couple of baldy's. I could be wrong though.
Best of luck.... :)

Interesting, a BWF with "some" ear is all I have ever heard refered to as a super baldie.

Bigfoot":1g1sek46 said:
Interesting, a BWF with "some" ear is all I have ever heard refered to as a super baldie.

I agree. It's always been my understanding that a "Super Baldy" is a Hereford / Brangus cross.

Well if that's the case I may of misrepresented this post. I had thought of a fleckvie red ,white faced bull may do the trick. I would just like to have some Sim. Influence in my herd moving forward . I appreciate the comments and they have been very informative.

Son of Butch":1cm8gzam said:
co3":1cm8gzam said:
No.
Because....

Please show me where a SimAngus breeder calls his cattle Balancers? Why would they do this? SimAngus is one of the hottest tickets out there today at the sales, bull tests, and on EPD's, etc...., so where would the advantage be? Not discrediting Balancers in any way as they are fine cattle, but I have never seen a Simmy or SimAngus breeder calling their product a Balancer.

OR, a black baldy could be derived from a Black Hereford bred to a Black Hereford!!! :shock: LoL

Gators Rule":2hvshsel said:
Son of Butch":2hvshsel said:
Please show me where a SimAngus breeder calls his cattle Balancers? Why would they do this? I have never seen a SimAngus breeder calling their product a Balancer.
http://www.schiefelbeinfarms.com/black_balancers.htm

There you go. Now what do I get in exchange?

Why would SimAngus breeders do this?
My guess is perhaps Simmy breeders are geneticly crooked by nature? :lol:
Sim-breeders welcome to comment...but I am only joking.
BUT then again maybe it's coming from the angus side of their upbringing.
Maybe Maury Povich could do dna testing for a twisted truth gene in cattle marketers and horse traders..

Latest posts