Sup-R-lix

Help Support CattleToday:

Tod Dague":9hhlrryr said:
Has anyone tried this? Did you like it? I'm giving it a shot this year.
As a former Purina District manager - the product has been around a long time - all you are getting is a high fat molasses and urea. Better check the cost per ton - then descide if you couldn't feed what the cows actually need by hand rather than pay a very high price for convenience. If convenience and not profit is your goal - go for it. You will find the protein is higher than most hay supplements need, and the energy from the fat is very expensive for what you can get other places.

Larry Sansom":2iq8ld2h said:
Tod Dague":2iq8ld2h said:
Has anyone tried this? Did you like it? I'm giving it a shot this year.
As a former Purina District manager - the product has been around a long time - all you are getting is a high fat molasses and urea. Better check the cost per ton - then descide if you couldn't feed what the cows actually need by hand rather than pay a very high price for convenience. If convenience and not profit is your goal - go for it. You will find the protein is higher than most hay supplements need, and the energy from the fat is very expensive for what you can get other places.

And even consumption among the cows is difficult, some cows will sit there all day eating while others get little. UNL swears against them.

We went that route years ago when we first moved to Texas, and the forage quality was crappy due to drought. I agree with the others.. we've found much better options in better hay or even feeding cubes or a milled feed to supplement. When we figured the cost, alfalfa hay was more reasonable.

We also had cows that camped out at the tanks!

In the drought years here when we had to start feeding hay in July, we fed corn gluten pellets a couple of times a week. Some palatability issues, but it seems to be an acquired taste.

dun

Something that we swear by is cotton seed meal. Of course it's cheaper if you're in a cotton growing area and there's a gin close by.

I've used it for about 3 years and I love it. It is very conveinient and it offers the more timid cows a chance to get their share. When I feed low quality hay they eat alot more, but when I feed bermuda hay they hardly touch it.

When you're feeding tubs the cost per ton is terrible when compared to almost everything else; however, when you want something to give the cows once every couple weeks you don't have many options. I've fed more tubs than I care to think about and the Purina hard blocks are about the best. I don't have the 'boss hog' problem with these tubs like I do other brands and you can control the consumption just by the number of tubs you put out. If you're out with the cows every day than go with cubes or something cheap, but if you only see them once a week or two weeks then tubs can be an asset.

Being mostly a weekend rancher, we use the tubs just to make sure that everyone has a better chance at nutrition. I do get out 3 times a week to feed cubes so the consumption of the tubs is not that quick. They are expensive and add significant cost to my program, but I like it for the insurance aspect to make sure that everyone stays healthy. A couple of our pastures have poor grass and this helps.

If your magins are slim or you really want to make some good money, find another option. First tend to your grass and then your cattle.

Latest posts