sun bleached alfalfa, how much nutrient loss?

Help Support CattleToday:

Susie David

Reaction score
Our hay supplier got gaught with some alfalfa cut and rained on by the time it dried out to bail it was pretty sun bleached and the bails that we samples all showed a little mold in the corners. The cattle pick through this hay but end up eating most of it. Question is how much nutrient loss can be expected in this hay, this field produces 18-20% protein hay, he wants to make me a deal on 15 tons and I'm not sure if I want this stuff in the hay barn with the mold evident. We would appreciate y'alls input...thanks, Dave Mc

Susie David":1is5081q said:
Our hay supplier got gaught with some alfalfa cut and rained on by the time it dried out to bail it was pretty sun bleached and the bails that we samples all showed a little mold in the corners. The cattle pick through this hay but end up eating most of it. Question is how much nutrient loss can be expected in this hay, this field produces 18-20% protein hay, he wants to make me a deal on 15 tons and I'm not sure if I want this stuff in the hay barn with the mold evident. We would appreciate y'alls input...thanks, Dave Mc

I'd be very leery of any hay that had evidence of mold, mold tends to spread & reproduce under right conditions. Inside a barn the heat buildup could make matters worse. With just "a little" mold, may be OK for cattle; however, wouldn't feed it to pregnant cows or nursing cows. Definitely don't feed it to horses.

My naive guess is that the hay may have lost 25 to 50% of its protein content. If you buy it, wouldn't give over 50% of his usual asking price per ton or bale. Have to figure loss due to waste also.

Bill...thanks, that is what I was thinking, the steers are no problem they will eat most anything, all our cows and heifers are bred so we won't feed then this stuff, besides they are on pasture and come in to suppliment and get some grain but the grass is drying and we will have to feed soon. Dave Mc

Send off a sample to the lab. Or better yet ask your supplier to do it. Most of that hay on your side of the hill is tested, or at least the stuff from the big producers It only cost about $12 for a protien test. Protien loss in alfalfa is generally because of leaf loss. Was the hay raked several times or did it just lay there waiting for the sun to come out? Actually there are things I would be concerned about more than protein. things like fiber (ADF and NDF) and relative feed value, all which can be tested for. A little mold on the corners wouldn't bother me but I sure would want to look at the inside of some bales.
Dave

Thanks Dave...the bales that I sampled all showed a little mold on the end leaves, the centers were dry and dark green with heavy leafing...about 50% of the hay was bleached. This hay just dried in the sun I don't believe that it was turned more than once. Any way I bought a load out of the barn which was great hay, fine stemmed and heavy leafing....Have you used the "royal" variety of alfalfa, my supplier has a irrigated field of it which sells fast, I was thinking of storing a couple of loads for the third trimester.
Thanks....Dave Mc

Latest posts