Summer stockers

Help Support CattleToday:

I watched a program on RFD tv about the Kansas flint hill one time and they were saying the grass there in the spring was the best anywhere for 90 days
They were talking about the number of stocker cattle a d the amount of gain they get but I don't remember the numbers

Anybody else see it or have cattle there ?

I don't know how many acres your looking for, but sounds as high or really it sounds higher than here. Seems hard to find a place anymore that hasn't been cut up at least some, realtors get a buyer for a small piece off of something and then leave the seller with something hard to sell.

cross_7":2k5x0uuj said:
I watched a program on RFD tv about the Kansas flint hill one time and they were saying the grass there in the spring was the best anywhere for 90 days. Anybody else see it or have cattle there ?

Drove through Flint Hills in the spring when they were burning grass and saw a lot of smoke. Drove through last September when it was dry and hardly saw a cow.
Land seems to get cheaper as you go west and north from the mid west. Have you considered Canada?

Stocker Steve":1odwln3q said:
cross_7":1odwln3q said:
I watched a program on RFD tv about the Kansas flint hill one time and they were saying the grass there in the spring was the best anywhere for 90 days. Anybody else see it or have cattle there ?

Drove through Flint Hills in the spring when they were burning grass and saw a lot of smoke. Drove through last September when it was dry and hardly saw a cow.
Land seems to get cheaper as you go west and north from the mid west. Have you considered Canada?
I spent about a year around the flint hills and when it rains it's as good a country as I've seen
The winters are tough for a Texas boy though

That may be the only place I haven't looked
I couldn't handle the cold, when it gets below 50 I suffer

I don't really know your needs, but have you looked at mo? There is some really productive land at cheaper prices than what your talking about.

I have spent very little time in Mo and am really unfamiliar with the state(they probably don't allow my kind anyway :D )
I have seriously looked east of I-35 in Texas and Ok, but I can't handle the dense population.
I'm used to the wide open and few people.
The land prices are lower out west but it takes more acres for cattle so you can buy in cheaper per cow to the east than the west.
Around here a 640 acres place is about 600000.00 plus or minus and can handle about 30 cows
East of I-35 lets say 160 will handle 30 cows and at 2000.00 an acre is 320000.00
But there the people are stacked on top of each other, I can't handle the closeness
Ks has a lot of what I'm looking for, just hate the cold

There's places around here that will handle 120 pair, make enough hay to winter them, and enough room to feed out your calves if you wanted to, for 600k.

denvermartinfarms":13rnkwoi said:
There's places around here that will handle 120 pair, make enough hay to winter them, and enough room to feed out your calves if you wanted to, for 600k.

Hard for me to comprehend being from the desert

Yea, the place I was thinking of is 500 acres mostly open. We figure 3 acres to a pair do that 360 of it, then 60 acres of the kind of land this is will make enough hay for them, and then there is about another 60 that could handle all the calves after they were weaned or make more hay.

Yep, me too. I see lots of land around here and even some good deals on cattle, that I know I could make money on. But it takes money to make money.

They sold a 500 acre place close to me In Central Texas east of Waco for $1850 a couple weeks ago. It was old family land that grandma didn't think was being taken care of properly by the grandson. A couple guys from Austin bought it. It was land that will run one unit for about 6 acres. I hate to see it go that cheap as I consider mine worth $2300 with a small house, a large barn, and good pens. Hard to find a place for less than $2000 per acre unless it is covered with mesquites.

My stockers did about 1.5 lb/day last year on a good Klein/Bluestem/Bermuda pasture up until early September with no supplements. Hardly anything after that. I am going to supplement them this year to see if I can get another month or so of gains.

bird dog":2o6l3bo4 said:
They sold a 500 acre place close to me In Central Texas east of Waco for $1850 a couple weeks ago. It was old family land that grandma didn't think was being taken care of properly by the grandson. A couple guys from Austin bought it. It was land that will run one unit for about 6 acres. I hate to see it go that cheap as I consider mine worth $2300 with a small house, a large barn, and good pens. Hard to find a place for less than $2000 per acre unless it is covered with mesquites.

My stockers did about 1.5 lb/day last year on a good Klein/Bluestem/Bermuda pasture up until early September with no supplements. Hardly anything after that. I am going to supplement them this year to see if I can get another month or so of gains.

I'd like find a place around graham, jacksboro, bowie or somewhere around that area but its 2-3k an acre and the hunters are willing to pay it

That is the main reason I went South. There are deer on my place and big ones at that but not enough of the type of land the hunters want to drive up the price. I guess you are familiar with the Lands of Texas website. A good place to go to get an idea on land values if you use the search for properties for sale in different counties.
If you like isolation, you would like where I am at. Mostly old German and Czech farmers that have been there for generations.

cross_7":226pkr06 said:
Stocker Steve":226pkr06 said:
I spent about a year around the flint hills and when it rains it's as good a country as I've seen
The winters are tough for a Texas boy though
That may be the only place I haven't looked
I couldn't handle the cold, when it gets below 50 I suffer

It seldom gets to -50 F close to the border, :nod:
but as a stocker guy aren't you supposed to spend the winter on the Gulf so you can check your backgrounding operations ?

Latest posts