Forsaking cow/calf for stockers

Help Support CattleToday:

jedstivers":98f8wbau said:
Either calve in sept/oct and have wheat and or ryegrass to graze or feed a little DDG's to the cows or go to stickers and buy puts on them. You have a floor on them them. You can make that floor the amount of money you will have in them and their feed or the amount you hope to profit in it too.
You should be in a good area for byproducts. I really like calving in the fall and grazing oats/wheat/ryegrass. I'm going to pure ryegrass though next year.

Oats and rye grass have all failed for me time and time again. If I was a little further south (which may not be my problem) I think I could make em work. It's hard for me to drill a cool season in a cool season. I guess I should work around my fescue.

I've got one herd that calves in the fall. I keep all my calves regard less of birth month to 775. I end with cows, and calves to winter no matter which way I go. I was hoping you would weigh in on this thread. If I remember correctly, you background/run stockers.

We have been running 500 stockers for several years. This year I'm buying my own so numbers are down. I can't put a 1/2 million in just right now.
I have 56 calves and that's only because we thought we weren't going getting enough cows bought.
I'm buying thin, last chance cows that have room for weight and doing a makeover on them and sending to Oklahoma City.
What general area? North/South Ky? All hills or some crop ground?

TennesseeTuxedo":cqk747ik said:
Where is around here?
I agree. Why bother posting your :2cents: about around here if you refuse to identify in what part of the world you live.
But then again, running red-simmis = automatic red flag on common sense. ;-)

Son of Butch":1xg72pqz said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1xg72pqz said:
Where is around here?
I agree. Why bother posting your :2cents: about around here if you refuse to identify in what part of the world you live.
But then again, running red-simmis = automatic red flag on common sense. ;-)
From Frost Bite Falls I woudl expect your avatar to be "Moose and Squirrel"

fenceman":s2pdltqv said:
Jebstivers why pure ryegrass? Just curious.
We fly it on in the standing unharvested crop. That time of year is also hopefully a dry time as we are harvesting. Ryegrass takes less rainfall to get it up and growing than wheat or oats. Sometimes we get just enough rain to ruin the wheat/oats.
Ryegrass starts back growing in January sooner than the others too. Also takes less pounds of it so we can blend more pounds of urea in when flying it in. We pay for a 100 pounds min. when we fly something in so I like to have 100 going out. 20-25lbs ryegrass is all the seed we need.

Latest posts