Summer plans (not necessarily cattle related)

Help Support CattleToday:

bullred

Reaction score
Although I've worked all over the world, in over 30 different countries, there are vast portions of my great and beautiful land that I've neglected to experience. This summer I intend to resolve that to some degree.

I am a big history buff, and have always been fascinated by Lewis and Clark, and the "Voyage of Discovery". So come May my family and I will fly to St. Louis and rent a van. Then we will drive the extent of the Lewis and Clark trail from St. Louis through Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Oregon, and to the Pacific Ocean at Long Beach, Washington. Afterwards we will hotfoot it back to St. Louis (with a possible side trip to Yellowstone – time permitting).

I know there are a lot of ranchers on here from those areas, so any advice, special tips, or recommendations along the way will be appreciated. I'll be taking my laptop on the trail with me. Although Lewis and Clark didn't have much luck finding hotels with high-speed internet, hopefully I'll be more successful in this right. And if so, I'll be sure and post with our progress and adventures in case anyone's interested. I'm really looking forward to it and hope it is as enriching and rewarding as I think it will be.

Have you considered a motor home as opposed to motels?
I haven't done either, but they advertise rentals in this area.
I always thought it would be fun to do something like that.
Hope you have a big time.

Last year I went to Lemhi Pass on August 12th which was the 200th anniversary of Lewis crossing the contenental divide. It was interesting. It was actually better on the 11th when I first went there. On the 12th there were people giving speechs and the re-enactment group was there. it is one of those high lonely places that is better experenced as such. It is possible that there will still be snow up there is May.
You can PM me if you want information on things this side of Lemhi. I Know the area from there to the mounth of the Columbia pretty well.
Dave

Check with the state park authority for any state you want to visit to see if they have cabins to rent. Beats hotels hands down. Many in TX were built by the CCC.

TPWD

what area of Kansas and MO will you be going through? Maybe What highway will you travel from St Louis to Kansas? Might have some ideas for you in those areas.

dj":3g29396j said:
Have you considered a motor home as opposed to motels?
I haven't done either, but they advertise rentals in this area.
I always thought it would be fun to do something like that.
Hope you have a big time.

DJ, we did consider the motorhome, but there are going to be eight of us all together (two families), so the hotels will give us a break from each other in the evenings. Besides, the wives weren't too hot on the idea of keeping the traveling house clean during the whole trip.

Dave, thanks for the offer. I'll drop you a PM when we get closer to departure time.

bullred":152l2g65 said:
aplusmnt":152l2g65 said:
what area of Kansas and MO will you be going through? Maybe What highway will you travel from St Louis to Kansas? Might have some ideas for you in those areas.

Aplus, if you go to http://www.lewisandclark.com you can see their actual trail. We're going to try to stay as close to it as possible.

Might be able to help you with Kansas City. If you PM me or post on here with some types of things you guys like to see, maybe I can make some suggestions on eating and motel. And sights around KC, are kids going to be on trip? Or more adult oriented? What kind of foods do you like? Nice motels or economic ones? etc....

that trip sounds great hope you all have a safe and enjoyable holiday. Why not take camping equipment for some of the time if you can't find a good motel/hotel

Aplus, thank you also for the offer. I'll PM you as the time draws near. There will be two families, so four adults and four kids between 6-13. And we're all pretty flexible.

Chrisy, thanks for the suggestion. Although I'm not much on camping, I'm sure the kids would love it.

If you happen to pass through this part of SW Missouri and get homesick I will gladly let you feed my cattle for free! Wishing you the best of times..

Forget the high speed Internet.
The trail goes through the most wonderful portions of Mo, Ne, SD, ND and what you will find are small mom and pop motels (Chamberlin SD where imaginary friends stay free) wonderful mom and pop cafes, and a far slower pace.
Watch out for farmers and ranchers as most of them are on the roads between fields or on their way to town.
You are in for a treat if you just remember you will not/can not make the miles you do on the Interstate (but you will get to see real America)
We do the trail from South Missouri to the Dakotas once a year

bullred":27mxeim7 said:
Although I've worked all over the world, in over 30 different countries, there are vast portions of my great and beautiful land that I've neglected to experience. This summer I intend to resolve that to some degree.

I am a big history buff, and have always been fascinated by Lewis and Clark, and the "Voyage of Discovery". So come May my family and I will fly to St. Louis and rent a van. Then we will drive the extent of the Lewis and Clark trail from St. Louis through Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Oregon, and to the Pacific Ocean at Long Beach, Washington. Afterwards we will hotfoot it back to St. Louis (with a possible side trip to Yellowstone – time permitting).

I know there are a lot of ranchers on here from those areas, so any advice, special tips, or recommendations along the way will be appreciated. I'll be taking my laptop on the trail with me. Although Lewis and Clark didn't have much luck finding hotels with high-speed internet, hopefully I'll be more successful in this right. And if so, I'll be sure and post with our progress and adventures in case anyone's interested. I'm really looking forward to it and hope it is as enriching and rewarding as I think it will be.

Recently read the book "Undaunted Courage" about the Lewis and Clark expedition. Fascinating read and I really got lost in it.
Not to put a downer on this subject, but found it interesting that Lewis suffered from depression and killed himself a few years after their trip. Guess after that journey everything else for the rest of his life just couldn't measure up.

Anyway, I hope you have a safe and rewarding trip. Keep us posted.

Sawgum":1kr9hi7r said:
If you happen to pass through this part of SW Missouri and get homesick I will gladly let you feed my cattle for free! Wishing you the best of times..

Sawgum, I'd bring a bag of Pilgrim Texas Rancher cubes for them cows of yours but then they'd be trying to follow me all the way back to Chambers County!

I appreciate the advice from others about watching out for farmers on the roads, but Barbers Hill, Texas ain't exactly a booming metropolis. I grew up dodging rice combines on dusty country roads.

Latest posts