Sulphur Toxicity

Help Support CattleToday:

cjmc said:
ClinchValley said:
Do I need to get a custom mineral mixed to achieve the needed levels of copper and selenium?

Do y'all think extra copper and selenium intake could combat the water issue? Water is provided via Richie water tanks. Shouldn't the sulphur evap from the water as it runs into the tank? Probably not near enough to make any difference is my thinking.
More isn't really the best answer, what you really need is better sources of copper that doesn't get tied up by sulfur. Its probably not that you don't have enough copper in the diet, it's that the copper is being tied up by antagonists and the animal can't absorb it resulting in a deficiency. There are tons of threads out there on this. You probably don't need a custom. The two most popular quality minerals on this site are probably purina availa 4 & vitaferm conceptaid. Side note selenium is regulated by the government, so a lot of times more isn't possible. If you need more selenium as well you will want an organic source of selenium rather than an inorganic one.

I think Se is regulated to 100-120ppm, you'd at least want a mineral with that much in it, if that's still not enough you could give a selenium injection, probably a month before calving would be a good time.

Copper oxide is virtually useless as far as absorption, but copper sulfate does have a decent bioavailablility as most sulfates do, and it's also readily available.. I usually look for a mineral with 2500ppm copper

If you have high sulfur water say 1000 to 2000 ppm do not supplement with copper sulfate. Sulfur ties up other trace minerals just like Ebenezer is telling you. It is a fact not a theory.

cow pollinater said:
Nesikep said:
TT.. Huh? resurrect a dead thread to say nothing?
He's in desperation mode. All his buddies are getting banned and he's right in the middle of it so he's digging up old threads to have someone left to talk to.

Never gonna be desperate as long as I've got you CP.

Thanks for all the good info on the topic guys.

I've been keeping a co-op mineral, nothing special, out free choice since i posted about the issue. Was having pink eye issues, a few calves born with contracted tendons up front, and was having faded hair coats on their backs. Haven't really had any issues since. Water still stinks bad of sulfur.

I was just getting my feet wet here with the cows and all. Thought i had a horrendous problem on our hands. No big deal in the end.

Nesikep said:
cjmc said:
ClinchValley said:
Do I need to get a custom mineral mixed to achieve the needed levels of copper and selenium?

Do y'all think extra copper and selenium intake could combat the water issue? Water is provided via Richie water tanks. Shouldn't the sulphur evap from the water as it runs into the tank? Probably not near enough to make any difference is my thinking.
More isn't really the best answer, what you really need is better sources of copper that doesn't get tied up by sulfur. Its probably not that you don't have enough copper in the diet, it's that the copper is being tied up by antagonists and the animal can't absorb it resulting in a deficiency. There are tons of threads out there on this. You probably don't need a custom. The two most popular quality minerals on this site are probably purina availa 4 & vitaferm conceptaid. Side note selenium is regulated by the government, so a lot of times more isn't possible. If you need more selenium as well you will want an organic source of selenium rather than an inorganic one.

I think Se is regulated to 100-120ppm, you'd at least want a mineral with that much in it, if that's still not enough you could give a selenium injection, probably a month before calving would be a good time.

Copper oxide is virtually useless as far as absorption, but copper sulfate does have a decent bioavailablility as most sulfates do, and it's also readily available.. I usually look for a mineral with 2500ppm copper
Bioavailability is relative, it's not a standard figure. In diets without mineral antagonists sulfates will be just fine. The animal will absorb enough mineral & won't have issues. But if you add a bunch of heavy metals like iron & molybdenum or certain other minerals like sulfur & now sulfates get bound to those heavy metals/ other antagonists and the animal can't absorb them greatly reducing its bioavailability.

If you live in one of these environments that's why you need a higher quality source of trace minerals, because they don't get bound up like sulfates/ oxides can.

As far as levels go, that's entirely dependent on intake. 1200ppm copper at 4oz/h/d is the industry standard (roughly copper requirement for a mature cow).

TennesseeTuxedo said:
You realize Mod2 can reset your old password so you can post under your original name right? Happened to me one time and the Moderator fixed it.

I din''t know that.

ga.prime said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
You realize Mod2 can reset your old password so you can post under your original name right? Happened to me one time and the Moderator fixed it.

I din''t know that.

Macon can. He got me back on when I locked my account up by accident. I created a pseudonym called Tenn Tux Deux to reach out for help.

https://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=92202&hilit=Tenn+tux%2A

TennesseeTuxedo said:
ga.prime said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

I din''t know that.

Macon can. He got me back on when I locked my account up by accident. I created a pseudonym called Tenn Tux Deux to reach out for help.

Exactly what happened to me in 2010. Asked for help and got no reply at all from mod or admin. Not yes, not no, nothing. Not sorry for whatever I said that elicited that reaction.

ga.prime said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
ga.prime said:
I din''t know that.

Exactly what happened to me in 2010. Asked for help and got no reply at all from mod or admin. Not yes, not no, nothing. Not sorry for whatever I said that elicited that reaction.

Sorry man, before my time but if it happens again I'll help ya out.

Latest posts