sulfa

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl

Reaction score
Can any one explain the benefits of sulfa, and exactly what it does? Thank you

Depends what type of sulfa you're talking about.

SMZs (SMZ-TMP tablets as sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) for scours or in combo with oxytet for pnemonia on calves. Prescription drug and not specifically labeled for animals, although you can can get it from any vet.

Sustain III (sulfamethazine sustained release bolus) on cows and/or calves for footrot, pnemonia, etc. This is the one most folks use - esp on cows - nearly always in combination with oxytetracycline.

"Sulfa" is a pretty broad term - you'd use it on a sick animal, so benefits would be that the animal gets better. ;-) They need to stay well hydrated through the course of the treatment as it can cause kidney damage. Sustain has a withdrawal time; SMZs do not have one that I know of, BUT, SMZs are just used on young calves (due to size and amount, I'd suppose) so you wouldn't be overly concerned about withdrawal unless they were veal calves.

If I remember correctly, there's only a very few sulfas labeled for use in cattle. Most are on the prohibited/banned drug list. As far as that goes; here's the drug list... http://saanendoah.com/prohibiteddrugs.html

milkmaid":1fkd3izj said:

SMZs (SMZ-TMP tablets as sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) for scours or in combo with oxytet for pnemonia on calves. Prescription drug and not specifically labeled for animals, although you can can get it from any vet.

Sustain III (sulfamethazine sustained release bolus) on cows and/or calves for footrot, pnemonia, etc. This is the one most folks use - esp on cows - nearly always in combination with oxytetracycline.

"Sulfa" is a pretty broad term - you'd use it on a sick animal, so benefits would be that the animal gets better. ;-) They need to stay well hydrated through the course of the treatment as it can cause kidney damage. Sustain has a withdrawal time; SMZs do not have one that I know of, BUT, SMZs are just used on young calves (due to size and amount, I'd suppose) so you wouldn't be overly concerned about withdrawal unless they were veal calves.

If I remember correctly, there's only a very few sulfas labeled for use in cattle. Most are on the prohibited/banned drug list. As far as that goes; here's the drug list... http://saanendoah.com/prohibiteddrugs.html

That about sums it up Milkmaid! :D
not anything i have found better in treating scours in young calves than sustain 3.
when we were kids ma used to get sulphur poweder at the drug store. it cured about anything. from what i unerstand you can't even get it anymore. too bad cause it would eliminate the need for a lot of new medicines that don't work and just give you a long list of side effects!

bif

Just plain yellow sulfur is good for hair and skin problems also. Some people say it helps to repel flys.

milkmaid":1mgik9y7 said:

When would you benifit from using sulfa with oxytetracyline vs. just oxytetracyline or one to the other newer antibiotics like Nuflor?

Stocker Steve":3l9pm5ir said:
milkmaid":3l9pm5ir said:

When would you benifit from using sulfa with oxytetracyline vs. just oxytetracyline or one to the other newer antibiotics like Nuflor?

Steve

For BRD treatment, I start with Baytril or Nuflor, if calves have a positive response, I give a second round 3 days later. If calves don't have adequate response to baytril or nuflor, i will add Albon SR (long acting sulfadimethoxine). Albon seems to be more effective than Sustain III. If still not getting adequate reponse, I add either la 200 or long acting penicillin. This 3 way combo will either kill'em' or cure'm.

Bottom line: Sulfa will complement most other antibiotics.

Regards to all

Brock

ctlbaron":1pkdd230 said:
Just plain yellow sulfur is good for hair and skin problems also. Some people say it helps to repel flys.

Interesting comment.

Not attempting to hijack the thread but:

We have a heavy sulphur content in our water and old timers say it helps prevent lots of things - our cattle never get Ivomec and we never have a lice problem.

Maybe they are correct?

Bez!

Texas PaPaw":1wpj1d6p said:
Stocker Steve":1wpj1d6p said:
milkmaid":1wpj1d6p said:

Steve

For BRD treatment, I start with Baytril or Nuflor, if calves have a positive response, I give a second round 3 days later. If calves don't have adequate response to baytril or nuflor, i will add Albon SR (long acting sulfadimethoxine). Albon seems to be more effective than Sustain III. If still not getting adequate reponse, I add either la 200 or long acting penicillin. This 3 way combo will either kill'em' or cure'm.

Bottom line: Sulfa will complement most other antibiotics.
Brock

Good tip. Tried oxytetracyline, then A-180, than A-180 with Sustain III on a couple that were slow responding. The sulfa seemed to do the trick since I have not had any repulls.

Any tips for handling steers that really do not want to open up for another bolus?

Steve

I've heard of some sickness (poor immune system function) from too much sulfur. Ties up copper.

Used to use Yellow sulfur when we were in Kansas. Put it in a sock & patted it on our legs/ankles to keep the CHIGGERS off. Worked great.
Sulfur in the water also messes up the obsorption of Se.
Sulfa is also good for coccidiosis TREATMENT.

Latest posts