Suggestions on breeding please

Help Support CattleToday:

changing mag

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am a newbie to the cattle business and to this forum. I'm 25 yrs old and don't know much when it comes to cattle, but I know its something I've always wanted to do. I was able to purchase three PB Simmental heifers that are 14 months old as of Nov.1. The rancher I got them from is going to let me borrow a bull in December for them. The problem is I do not know what bull to use. The choices are a PB simmental bull, PB angus bull, or a 1/2 simmental 1/2 angus bull? Could use all the help. Thanks in advance!

changing mag":13rnduxz said:
Hello everyone, I am a newbie to the cattle business and to this forum. I'm 25 yrs old and don't know much when it comes to cattle, but I know its something I've always wanted to do. I was able to purchase three PB Simmental heifers that are 14 months old as of Nov.1. The rancher I got them from is going to let me borrow a bull in December for them. The problem is I do not know what bull to use. The choices are a PB simmental bull, PB angus bull, or a 1/2 simmental 1/2 angus bull? Could use all the help. Thanks in advance!

I'd have to see the bulls to choose but my first choice would be the Angus.

Good luck with your operation.

Depends on mainly what do you want? Purebred calves, 3/4 Simmental calves, or 1/2 blood calves. I've had good luck with all three. I'd probably go with the best calving ease, lowest birth weight, and the best maternal bull out of the group since the females are heifers. The rancher should be able to tell you the most about the bulls. Just remember you are the one that knows what your goal is.

Thank y'all. What will be the biggest trait the pb angus will bring if i go with it? I was leaning on having 3/4 simmental, but was not sure if that was something a lot of ranchers were doing or not.

Yes, It would be best if we could see what the bulls look like. Ask the rancher what his choice would be.

I agree about asking the rancher his opinion of his 3 bulls and witch one he would put on them himself. Without seeing each one it's hard to say. I would take a good Simm over a decent angus, but if there all equal quality bulls I would personally use the angus, and the half blood bull would be my second choice, and still yet nothing wrong with a good full blood Simm. The bigger issue I see here is breeding them 15 months, I know that's the standard but seems your cows will last longer and just simply do better by waiting until they are 18 months. Where are you located?

denvermartinfarms":1n3r2tgq said:
I agree about asking the rancher his opinion of his 3 bulls and witch one he would put on them himself. Without seeing each one it's hard to say. I would take a good Simm over a decent angus, but if there all equal quality bulls I would personally use the angus, and the half blood bull would be my second choice, and still yet nothing wrong with a good full blood Simm. The bigger issue I see here is breeding them 15 months, I know that's the standard but seems your cows will last longer and just simply do better by waiting until they are 18 months. Where are you located?

I will try to get some pics soon and post them so that I can get some suggestions. I am located in Central Texas. They are all good quality calving ease bulls, he is currently using the 1/2 SIMM 1/2 angus bull. I'm just anxious to get my heifers going! Thanks for the help!

We raise Simmental, and breed all of our heifers at 14 months. We have had no problem with longevity so far.
I agree with what others have posted here, since you are so new I would ask the guy you bought them from what bull he would use. If all three are heifer safe, then you need to know what direction you are taking with your cattle. I personally love the 3/4 blood heifers. I can take those, and cross them with another half blood and still get some really nice cattle that can be registered, however, I can also breed them to a purebred Simmental bull and get purebreds. But, you need to look at the phenotypes of the heifers and bulls and see which will match up the best. Also, look long and hard at the EPD's. The Simmental breed has really nailed those pretty close, and they will tell you which direction you might want to go. The ASA data base has a great tool, where you can plug in the heifers registration numbers, and the bulls registration numbers, and get an estimated EPD on each mating! So you can look at what the calves might look like on an EPD basis.
If you need help, feel free to private message me. I can help you look up information and give you some ideas on directions depending on what your end goal is.

And of course, WELCOME to the Simmental breed. I love my Simmental cows...

Fire Sweep Ranch":37qtn9lg said:
We raise Simmental, and breed all of our heifers at 14 months. We have had no problem with longevity so far.
I agree with what others have posted here, since you are so new I would ask the guy you bought them from what bull he would use. If all three are heifer safe, then you need to know what direction you are taking with your cattle. I personally love the 3/4 blood heifers. I can take those, and cross them with another half blood and still get some really nice cattle that can be registered, however, I can also breed them to a purebred Simmental bull and get purebreds. But, you need to look at the phenotypes of the heifers and bulls and see which will match up the best. Also, look long and hard at the EPD's. The Simmental breed has really nailed those pretty close, and they will tell you which direction you might want to go. The ASA data base has a great tool, where you can plug in the heifers registration numbers, and the bulls registration numbers, and get an estimated EPD on each mating! So you can look at what the calves might look like on an EPD basis.
If you need help, feel free to private message me. I can help you look up information and give you some ideas on directions depending on what your end goal is.

And of course, WELCOME to the Simmental breed. I love my Simmental cows...

I appreciate all the help!! My short term goal is to have at least 10 cows in a breeding operation. I guess i should breed these three and maybe keep any heifer calvs and along the way maybe buy a couple bred cows. That is what im thinking would be best right now.

Latest posts