Suggestions for new tires..

Help Support CattleToday:

Beef08

Reaction score
Thinking bout getting some new tires for my 96' Z71 and not sure what to go with..any suggestions? I have looked at some Cooper Discoverers, Co op Grip Spurs, Mud Dawg Radial H/V's, and BFG All Terrains. Does anyone have any experience with these?

I like round ones.

The BFG A/T's are a good all-around tire that wears well. They need to be rotated fairly often but they're a good compromise between traction and wear.

cfpinz

cfpinz":2r6ki83d said:
I like round ones.

The BFG A/T's are a good all-around tire that wears well. They need to be rotated fairly often but they're a good compromise between traction and wear.

cfpinz

I have a set of these. Not the cheapest and a little road noise but a good tire just like cfpinz says. I went through snow up to the running boards yesterday getting out a load of firewood.

cfpinz":3ef0ic7n said:
I like round ones.

cfpinz
That's what came on my wife's truck. Rotated front to back every 6000 miles, I replaced them with another set at 85,000 miles. The old ones still had enough tread that I had them put on a utility trailer. Now have 40,000 on the new set and still a lot of tread left. With regular rotation, there was never more than 1/16" difference in tread depth on the 4 tires.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":3sdfk69n said:
My next set (soon) is going to be Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor. Going on my 05 F150 Lariat Super Crew.265/60/R18.

I'm with Mahoney, I put these on my dually six months ago. We put on the Pro series of this tire, I beleive it handles heavier loads? It is quiet, rides well, but we don't have a lot of miles on them yet to know what they will do.

Billy

I use cheapose from yugoslovia. There the only tires that last more then a year without getting stone leaks from the rock/gravel roads.

dun":zjh4wz4f said:
I use cheapose from yugoslovia. There the only tires that last more then a year without getting stone leaks from the rock/gravel roads.

I've had fewer leaks from the BFGs than any other tire, rode around with nails stuck in them on more than one occasion. Never went flat til I pulled the nail out. Not really impressed with their commercial tires, though. Pooped two or three tires on that red dually in a little over a year. Stuck a deer antler thru one of them.

cfpinz

cfpinz":2zf9g3ev said:
dun":2zf9g3ev said:

I've had fewer leaks from the BFGs than any other tire, rode around with nails stuck in them on more than one occasion. Never went flat til I pulled the nail out. Not really impressed with their commercial tires, though. Pooped two or three tires on that red dually in a little over a year. Stuck a deer antler thru one of them.

cfpinz

Nails and the usual stuff isn;t the problem. It's the sharp rock that bruises the tire enough time that the finally get a leak. Well, sometimes it's the usual stuff. Had a tooth from a sicklebar mower in one, that sucker went flat fast

BFG All-Terrain... :nod:

SHop hard, I get myne for my 98 Z-71 for $800 from Discount (285/75R16). Get 60K+ miles out of them, as good as it gets for an A/T in the mud, and what I really like is I never get flats unless there is some thing literally sticking out of the tire and the thorns down here are like 16penny nails.

dun":2ddrby1g said:

Hey Dun, I suppose you put those champanzee tires on your Yugo truck? Should make an interesting site. :lol:

Billy

MrBilly":1sxbs57v said:
dun":1sxbs57v said:

Hey Dun, I suppose you put those champanzee tires on your Yugo truck? Should make an interesting site. :lol:

Billy

I hated them on the first truck that I bought out here. I changed them to Wranglers. After 6 months I was in the tire shop having boots put in the tires every couple of weeks. Finally gave up and went back to those crappy tires. They ride like crap and are noisey, but I don;t have to keep getting tires fixed. When I get a stone leak I kno it's time to replace them, about every 4-5 years.

Around here with all the gravel roads and such we are lucky to get 20000 miles out of a set of tires. I've had good luck with Yokohamas and Kumhos, but if you really want a good gravel tire with not too much highway noise then just buck up and buy a set of Toyos. They are alot of money but on 3/4 or one ton pickups they hold up very well.

Latest posts