Success with Weaning Calves?!?!

Help Support CattleToday:

Walker

Reaction score
2weaners001.jpg
2weaners003.jpg

Has anyone used this type of weaning device and what kind of success have you had??

There are a dozen different designs, but most work well. Years ago when I used them, we used the kind that actually were inserted into the nose, like a bull ring. The "snap on" types can come off easier.

I use them and have been using them for about 7 years now. It works very well, but as always there are exceptions to the rule. If a cow has very long teats I have seen calves still suckle the very tips of the teats, how much milk the calf was still getting this way is anyone's guess. Other calves get very crafty and turn their head on the side and still suckle without the spikes touching the cow. In the 7 years I've used them there was about a handfull of calves that it didn't work on.

They can be re-used, but not indefinately, I have had some break where the bolt head is on the inside meaning you can't tighten it anymore with the wingnut. Also once they get old and hard from the African sun some will break when you take them out, but that is minimal. Some wingnuts also rust to the bolt if left in too long.

About the only other negative is that often the ball of nosering grows through the septum leaving both balls in the same nostril, then it takes some practice getting it out. If its a bull that will get a nosering the hole is there already so it can come in handy as well.

I have used both the type in the picture and the metal one with the floppy plate, the metal ones can get very hot in the sun and I imagine very cold in your climate and calves find it easier to manipulate them than the plastic spikey ones in the pic. Usually after a week or two of having the noserings in you can remove the calves from the cows if need be without having cows breaking every fence in the way to get back to the calves. In my situation is a very handy management tool.

KNERSIE... Thanks so much for your wonderful advice. If I don't plan on seperating the calves, when is a good time to take the weaning device out of the calves nose without it going back to suck?

I have found that once the calf learns to tilt it's head to nurse the device is worthless...have a couple hanging on the barn wall collecting dust. Just seperate for a few weeks.
DMc

Walker":1hm1s8wh said:
KNERSIE... Thanks so much for your wonderful advice. If I don't plan on seperating the calves, when is a good time to take the weaning device out of the calves nose without it going back to suck?

6 weeks to two months.

Those that goes back to suckling probably would have gone back to suckling anyway even if they were seperated. The good thing is you can always put the nosering back in. I honestly can't say that it has ever been a problem for me.

Even the very few that is too smart for the nosering is so minimal that a plan can be made with them. Its a lot easier drylotting two calves in a corral and feeding them than it is to feed all the calves in a corral especially if your facilities isn't designed to do so.