success at flushing heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Dee

Reaction score
I just found an AI tech in (somewhat) my area that also does ET's. He said it is best to let the heifers have one calf before flushing them, and that some people wait till they have had three calves. Have any of you flushed heifers and found it more sucessful to wait, or have any advice?

it is best to wait. you are giving them so many drugs that it messes up their reproductive life. also you don't want to flush a cow until you have seen at least 2 or 3 calves out of her. sometimes the best looking cow or pedigree cows don't always throw the best cows. a lot of our donors don't really get into their flush prime until about 6 years old.

plbcattle":3k5d0l3l said:
it is best to wait. you are giving them so many drugs that it messes up their reproductive life. also you don't want to flush a cow until you have seen at least 2 or 3 calves out of her. sometimes the best looking cow or pedigree cows don't always throw the best cows. a lot of our donors don't really get into their flush prime until about 6 years old.
I used to agree and even argue this point. With the rapid advancement in technology, genetics, industry, I think very few cows do I know enough about to flush. I know more about my heifers.

Dee":8xlhn75p said:
I just found an AI tech in (somewhat) my area that also does ET's. He said it is best to let the heifers have one calf before flushing them, and that some people wait till they have had three calves. Have any of you flushed heifers and found it more sucessful to wait, or have any advice?

I would not go through the cost and trouble to flush a cow until she has proven herself to me. Why would you flush a heifer when you don't even know what she can produce. Two of my worst looking cows are my best donor cows. She needs to prove herself beyond the showring.

certherfbeef":26g8v735 said:
txshowmom":26g8v735 said:
Two of my worst looking cows are my best donor cows.

Hey Ollie, are your donor's phenotypically incorrect too?

I didn't say they were incorrect. They are just not pretty to look at, but they produce the best calves on the place.

txshowmom":1b47i41a said:
I didn't say they were incorrect. They are just not pretty to look at, but they produce the best calves on the place.

Ok, point taken, I'll edit my comment.

Hey Ollie, are your donors phenotypically undesirable too?

Dee":30k5nwez said:

Successful cattle operations do it both ways. Gardiners in Kansas have a huge AI program. They believe they're improving the herd with every generation. So they flush heifers and sell all the cows by the time they're four years old. That sounds extreme to me, but they are very successful at what they're doing. I've never flushed a cow, but I'd wait to see what the cow produces before I put the time and money into flushing her, especially if you're planning to build your herd on a certain cow's genetics by keeping her heifers. Good luck...

certherfbeef":2d6xcnxj said:
txshowmom":2d6xcnxj said:

Ok, point taken, I'll edit my comment.

Hey Ollie, are your donors phenotypically undesirable too?
Almost without exception my best cows produce my best calves. Like kind produces like kind.

I knew someone who flushed a dairy heifer and when she calfed she had a real sore sight for an udder. So i would wait till she's had at least one calf.

Heifers are just like teenage girls they are not physically mature yet. Some will work well while others wont. But isn't the idea of flushing to
perpetuate the very best of ones heard? It use to be that a Donor meant something. Now i'm not sure with so many people doing it indiscriminatly.
Some big breeders flushing 50% of their heard and putting them in cross breds to increase numbers for their sales not necessarly the quality.

Latest posts