Substitute Teacher Shortage

Help Support CattleToday:

fit2btied

Reaction score
I teach in a small school district, just over 600 kids, K-12. A couple weeks ago, we had 14 of about 40 teachers out for flu, workshops, etc. They had went through their entire sub list and ended up one teacher short. While they were trying to decide what to do, another teacher called in with the flu, putting them two teachers short. They sent some kids to the library, some to the bandroom, and we all babysat other classes on our planning periods. I have a daughter-in-law that is a corrections officer with Wednesdays and Thursdays for days off. She has a degree in Criminal Justice so that evening, I told her she had enough college hours to get on the sub list - $70 a day and all the abuse you could ever hope for! All she said was, "Not unless I can bring my pepper spray!" :)

Had the flu run through our school about 2 weeks ago. They had enough people though.

Watch out for some of those subs though.
Got one I know who is a backstabber and a troublemaker. :x

Im a Sub teacher on my days off from college let me tell you that has to be the WORSE job on planet earth. They are so :devil2: BAD and this is a little school to. Ive been fliped off by 2nd graders. Its sad to know what the worlds coming to. My mom jokes around with me about it because she works at the high school. They are begging for sub teachers they started with like 40 and I think theres like 5 know for each school. The only reason I stay is because they work around my classes.

How did I miss this one?

My last 2 babies were born 13 mos apart, so I quit teaching full time to be home more with them. Subbed for 6 years. It was, hands down, the best job I have ever had! I loved working with the kids (except 5th and 6th grade ~ too much going on with them that they haven't even started to fine tune!). I loved the variety of working with different kids, different ages, different classes. All groups have their own bonuses. I watched science films and thought "This is COOL stuff!! Why didn't I think so when I was their age?!" I worked almost strictly HS, was one of the few who would sub any class.

Working with kindergarten was the hardest. They switch activities every 15 mins to keep them on task. I was still looking for scissors for one project while they were supposed to be moving onto the next. :roll: They were very patient though! ;-)

Classroom management is an art, I admire like crazy those who are good at it.

There was hardly a thing about it I didn't like. The only thing I missed about full time was having a group of kids that were "mine". The rest was awesome!

There are back stabbers and trouble makers everywhere, but yes, I do know some of those that are subs. Also, one of our Special Ed kids mother is a sub and when she is at the high school, he acts the fool all day and so does she. I have been lucky in that she has only gone on one field trip with us.

It isn't so bad, sub teaching, as I have occasion to do it where I work. When you have been there a while and you know the kids by name at least, then it helps. It is probably easier to sub high school than it is the elementary or junior high grades. I have considered it as a way of working in the past, because if you sign up with every little district around, you can have steady work all year just about every day. And the teachers that like you will request you over and over. We only have one sub we will use in Life Skills. If we can't get her, we will figure out Plan B.

Just as there are good and not so good teachers, there are good and not so good subs. You have to like kids. And not be a control freak.

I used to sub...notice I said Used To.

I enjoyed the 3rd and 4th grade resource classes. Bless their hearts, most of them really wanted to learn. Senior High...one time and one time only. Junior High...not only one time and one time only, but after I told one of the miserable little idiots that he needed to be taken out and shot, I wasn't asked to come back...which was fine by me. I used to be embarrassed by that, but as I get older, no so much...

Truly, I'm really too much of a control freak when it comes to kids over the age of 10...especially when they run their mouths...and keep the good kids from getting anything out of the class.

My daughter teaches school...she's a wonderful teacher. And, she acknowledges that I have no business in a classroom. Funny, I come from a family FULL of teachers, aunts, uncles, mother, grandmother...guess that gene didn't map itself into my body.

Alice

It is funny, Alice. I will admit it here and now that I am not a big fan of kids. I have found myself in situations over the years where I have worked with kids and adults that had some child-like bahiviors, (and child-ish, but that's another
post). It seems to be what I am good at, so I do it. I also believe that thre are a lot of folks out there who don't like kids at all who teach. To them, I say, get another job. I relate well to kids of all ages, I just am not the kind of mom that would surround herself with other people's kids 24/7. I have my limits, and I like to just be with mine. I like to walk out the door every afternoon. Not always easy to do where I work.

fit2btied":28knjcrp said:
I teach in a small school district, just over 600 kids, K-12. A couple weeks ago, we had 14 of about 40 teachers out for flu, workshops, etc.

It has always puzzled me as to why so many of our teachers have to have training during the school year. My daughter's teacher has been out for a month. :?:

We have a bad sub shortage here too. I've been subbing for about ten years now and I find it to be a great job. Work when you want to and walk away at the end of the day without any baggage.

As far as classroom control and behavior issues go I tend to watch the kids enter the room, pick out the worst one(and you KNOW who that is right away) and send them on their merry way to the office as soon as they act up. This sends a pretty clear message to the rest of the kids and they settle down very quickly. I also never raise my voice, this is so they have to listen real well to get any instructions. Mostly, though after doing it for as long as I have the kids know me and what to expect and I don't have a whole lot of problems with them.

Worst grade is Kindergarten. They have a routine to their day that it is impossible to replicate.

Jogeephus":17n1obhq said:
fit2btied":17n1obhq said:
I teach in a small school district, just over 600 kids, K-12. A couple weeks ago, we had 14 of about 40 teachers out for flu, workshops, etc.

It has always puzzled me as to why so many of our teachers have to have training during the school year. My daughter's teacher has been out for a month. :?:
Me too. I think the main reason is that the people who can't or don't want to teach move up to be presenters and don't think they should have to work on weekends or during the summer. I say that jokingly, but I do think that. :) I hate workshops and only attend when they are mandatory. I've known some teachers that volunteer for anything and everything that will get them out of the classroom - I wish they'd just quit! I hate to miss school! First off, I don't like other people messing up my kids! Plus, it's three to four times more work getting things ready for a sub than it is to be there and do it yourself, the right way. As mentioned before, we are a small district and have four teachers that are going on maternity leave the middle of April and will be out the remainder of the year. With that many long-term subs, can you say "Kids Gone Wild"? Oh well, it's still better than a real job and I love it!

I had to take TAKS training several times this year and I still don't understand it. The website is out half the time, too. Still, the State paid the district to let me go and for my sub. I know of one teacher that signs up for everything. And sponsers everything. Student Council, UIL Literary events, Special Olympics, Dance Team, and now she's doing the talent show. I love her do death, but she does so much she does not have the time to teach. I am sure she'll do Afterprom, too. I keep hoping someone will tell her to cut back so she can actually teach, but no one has yet.

I think when we see her class' TAKS scores, the proof will be in the pudding, so to speak. I guess we shall see. She told me when I came to work up there that she can't say no. I guess she's right. No one seems to be in a hurry to get her to start. I believe that there should be a limit to those things.

Lammie":27a8mwdj said:
I know of one teacher that signs up for everything. And sponsers everything. Student Council, UIL Literary events, Special Olympics, Dance Team, and now she's doing the talent show. I love her do death, but she does so much she does not have the time to teach. I am sure she'll do Afterprom, too. I keep hoping someone will tell her to cut back so she can actually teach, but no one has yet.

I think when we see her class' TAKS scores, the proof will be in the pudding, so to speak. I guess we shall see. She told me when I came to work up there that she can't say no. I guess she's right. No one seems to be in a hurry to get her to start. I believe that there should be a limit to those things.
For everyone of her ~ there are many just putting in time waiting to retire so they can get out. Bless her :heart:

Angus/Brangus":269igh2k said:
We still have a few ladies in the neighborhood that substitute just to bring in few extra bucks. And then there are the "social" mama's that try to get their son in on the football teams first string or their daughter on the cheerleading squad. :mad:

Seen that happen.

angie":2yh69i8b said:
Lammie":2yh69i8b said:
I know of one teacher that signs up for everything. And sponsers everything. Student Council, UIL Literary events, Special Olympics, Dance Team, and now she's doing the talent show. I love her do death, but she does so much she does not have the time to teach. I am sure she'll do Afterprom, too. I keep hoping someone will tell her to cut back so she can actually teach, but no one has yet.

For everyone of her ~ there are many just putting in time waiting to retire so they can get out. Bless her :heart:

I believe in a healthy balance of things. I wonder sometimes if some folks that volunteer for everything are happy in their homelife. I know a lot of dedicated teachers who do a lot of things on their own time, and then I think there are some folks who can't say no. What is worse, people know it and ask you to do everything because they know you won't refuse. I see that, too, sometimes.

I love my home and I love being here. I like doing stuff for school, but I want to be here. Balance.

Latest posts