Student Performance

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
The failure reports came out today for the middle of the 4th six week here at the high school where I work. Looking at it, I was pretty astounded, and I thought I would throw some numbers out there to see what you all think.

Of the 488 students we have here at this high school, 296 of them are failing at least one subject. That is well over half the students. On average, students are failing three classes. And when I say failing, I mean mind bending numbers, like someone making an 11 in science or a 20 in Spanish I.

I am pretty concerned about this. It isn't anything new, really. Every six weeks we freak about grades, especially coaches, who want to keep their star players in the game. In Texas, if you aren't passing, you aren't supposed to play. I guess it is probably that way in all states these days. I can remember when I was in high school, back in the late seventies and early eighties, jocks used to brag that they didn't have to try to make the grades, because they played ball.

What I see now is a repeat of the same sort of thing. Only now, instead of turning a blind eye to failure, or worse, "fixing" grades, coaches now go to teachers and urge them to change a failing grade to a passing grade.

Now, I can see if a student made a 69.4 and passing is 70, maybe looking at that student's overall performance in class, did he participate, did he try, is he really struggling or does he not care... But I have seen coaches over and over, approach teachers about a student making a 67 or worse, and urging that teacher to change the grade.

It makes " No Pass No Play" have No Teeth.

I don't know if other schools are like this. I find it very unpleasant and disturbing that this practice goes on.

BTW, no one messes with the students in my class. They are all in the severe to profound range of mental retardation, so no one really pays much attention to their academic performance. It is a shame that they do count in the number of students that passed.

For what it is worth, I don't see anything wrong with allowing a student to fail. I have failed a couple of things in college myself, and I learned a lot from it. I think that we are too quick not to allow kids to experience failure, to allow them to know that they own it, they earned it, and that it is their responsibility. It can be a learning opportunity, the ideal "teaching moment".

I just thought I would share my confusion with everyone. Do with it as you like.

Lammie - I agree with so much of what you've said here. Although, I believe there are other components that goes into kids making astoundingly low grades.

1st is parents that don't give a flying flip about what they're kids are doing in school. My folks looked at my report card everytime I got one. I knew what was expected of me, and like many a teenager did just enough to not get into trouble. (For the record I was an A/B student, but if I had really tried I could have been almost straight A's.)

2nd is teachers that shouldn't be teaching. I had a Spanish I teacher that was a hottie. She knew it and wore amazingly short skirts and sat on a tall stool with her legs crossed when lecturing. She was great to look at, but a horrible teacher. I had her for homeroom (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and kids had a homeroom) and when she gave me my report card she apologized to me because I had mostly A's a B or two and a D in her class. She said my grade in her class was a reflection on her. I appreciated what she said but it was too late to help me.

We've got teachers now who "date" the students and spend a lot of time acting like they're in the co-ed dorm at college, you know, flirting with one another and doing just enough to fulfill whatever the school system says they have to do.

3rd is the administration. Some of the leaders are so busy playing politics and creating new administration positions to show how they're doing something that teaching the kids seems to lose its priority.

4th is the teachers union. Job #1 for them seems to be protecting the incompetent and lobbying for more tax $ per student. (Personally I think this is such a load of garbage in comparing school systems.)

Oops, running late and I got to go for now.

This is a serious phenomenon in America. Too much emphasis on "teaching the test", passing marginal students so they can participate in athletics, extracurriula activities that often take precedent over basic academics, not enough "education" on marketable skills and common sense learning, etc. Many foreign countries and their educational systems require 2 languages in school. Too many American systems don't even equip students with "educated" English skills: Reading, Spelling, Writing.

• (1). Athletics are ok: However, it is JUST A GAME. Educate yourself for a real DAY job.
    (2). Not every one will be blessed with a Secretary in real life: Learn some skills.
    (3). Learn how to do REAL reading, writing, spelling, and arithmetic: You may lose your electricity and computers will not work.
    (4). Learn how to cook from scratch (learn 3 R's): Microwave may break.
    (5). Being a wizard with video game, or other toy, and no other practical skills will eliminate you from 99.9999999% of paid employment in real world.
    (6). Learn some practical everyday survival skills: Tools, street smarts, food preparation, etc.
    (7). Minimize school politics, agendas, campaigns, and other similar issues: NOT LIKELY.
    (8). Learn to read a MAP(and have one, some): You may not be able to afford GPS technology (or your battery may be dead).
    (9). Finally, with all of your "modern day education", could you SURVIVE if you had no electricity or had no batteries? Or, no fuel for your vehicle?

Yes, Cuz, I look for my son's report cards. You can access that stuff online these days, as well, so there really isn't an excuse for not knowing. I let my son's teachers know at the beginning of the year that I desire communication with them, and that if my kid isn't doing well, I want to know about it. If you wait till the report card comes out, it will be too late.

RAB, I think that the TAKS is way over emphasized as well. We teach for that test because the rating a school gets based on scores is extremely important. We are a poor performing school, therefore, the TAKS has been emphasized all the more. At my son's school, when he was little, art and recess were eliminated in favor of TAKS study. And we wonder why kids are fat...

Starting today, there will be a flury of activity to get those grades changed. I can't wait. And the teachers who have taught these kids? Well, they are reviled by other teachers, coaches and kids alike because they won't pass all their students.

It is just so disappointing. I don't think I can return to it next year. I really like my kids, but I don't want to be a part of this. And I have seen this repeatedly. Good teacher leave because they are disgusted and dismayed. And because the skills they have translate into bigger bucks in the "real world". All I know that this summer, I will have some soul searching to do.

When did it change so that failing something destroyed their life. Failure prepares you for the real world. Failure can be a growth experience if it is treated as something to cause one to improve. Not everyone canor should go to college, there still have to be the people that work in stores, drive trucks, etc.

Yes, Dun. I have learned some very valuable lessons from failure. Anyone that has been divorced has learned several important ones.

Brute 23":34bxfmyo said:
Doesn't look too good, but you have to take into account the demographics of your area. WHen these kids get out of high school, if they finish, where do they go?

To work, mostly. Very few of them will go to college and fewer still will actually graduate. There is plenty of work around here to be had. Hard work on the gas wells, driving tankers, that sort of thing. Welders are in great demand, as well. But judging from some of the study habits of these guys, I would say that hard work is not something they expect to have to do. We have a lot of people go into the military, as well. Not as many, I would say, as there were before the war started dragging on. I don't see as many talking to recruiters as I did last year. We lost a local boy in September and I think it scared some of the students, you know, brought it home that you can die over there.

There are jobs in the area, though, that's for sure. No reason to be unemployed around here, especially if you work your bum off. Sky's the limit.

The entire educational system in the US is a crock. Every student is taught as if they should be a clone of a college professor. If they are not they are treated as if they are failures in life.
It is not only the inability of the students to learn/or desire to learn but the inability of the teachers to teach.

Teacher gave a student a zero in the grade book for being late. He complained and she gave him another zero for disrupting class. Something else happened (don't exactly remember) and he got a third zero. 11th grade and had never made less than an A his whole life. He was not a star athlete but the teacher had to leave town.

Kids are no longer taking advance classes in HS. No need to take that risk if they play sports. Some nerd teachers hate athletes. If you are failing any one class you're out. You can make an A in the class for the first two tri-mesters and an F in the middle of track season and you're out. Nevermind that you passed for the year.

The rules can be fixed but they won't do it.

If it is about sports and sports only, the AAU is much better than UIL. If the student has any type of grade at all, they'll get more scholarship looks through the AAU. Those folks up in the stands at AAU games (other than parents) are college scouts.

Son was having trouble in school last year. Got a call from his teacher and she was the rudest person I ever had a call from. I was being nice and polite, but she was talking to me so rudely I finally pointed it out to her that she was being disrespectful and she went nuts. Called and reported her. She tried being nice to me later, but you could tell I wanted nothing to do with her.
This school year son came home with a really bad report card. He was told to bring his books home and we are going to work on his grades. He couldn't do all the fun things he wanted to do.
Got a call from another parent asking if I knew the ENTIRE class had failed. :shock: Even the straight A students failed. There are 25 kids in this class. What in the world is going on? No papers are being sent home. The teacher collects them and the parents never see them. This teacher is treating them like they are in colleage already. Talking to the other kids found out that she gives them 5-10 minutes to do their work and never discusses what they are trying to learn.
Took my son to Sylvan because we are so concerned, tests found him at a 2nd grade reading level :shock: and a 4th grade math level. He's in 5th grade. Just hope it is not too late for him. :cry:

Texas if I didn't care about my son why would I be spending the money and time to get him the help he needs. Now why should I be taken behind the wood shed?

I luv herfrds":1j3tzfqj said:
Took my son to Sylvan because we are so concerned, tests found him at a 2nd grade reading level :shock: and a 4th grade math level. He's in 5th grade. Just hope it is not too late for him. :cry:

That's the results of no kids left behind.

They have "Gifted and Talented" classes now that they put my kids through. I didn't care for it all that much. But, had they not been put in those classes, they probably would have been in the same boat as your son.

I'm sure all schools have some sub-par teachers but I still believe a majority of the problems lie in the so called "home".

I don't think Texas was talking about you. There are plenty of low-lifes around here who send their kids out with a wet head and no coat in freezing weather. Those same people use video games and television as a babysitter and could not care less about their children. It would probably blow everyone's mind to know how many of those people are out there. Another big pet of mine is the explosion of ridilin kids. I think far too many kids are diagnosed as ADD when they are simply not challenged or stimulated. They are then drugged to control their wild attitudes and tendencies. If we would learn how to use that energy toward something useful, our kids would be doing much better.

I Luv...I certainly was not picking you out nor putting you down. Sounds like you're a wonderful parent. Guess I should have been more specific. There are parents who refuse to encourage their kids, and never set an example. Kids come to school in the morning wearing yesterday's clothing, dirty, hungry and sleepy cause many didn't even see mom and dad last night, stayed up late and went to bed dirty and very late into the night. Kids can't stay awake when they do get to school. Also do as they please when away from school and expect to be able to do the same at school. Mom and dad back the kid if the principal calls and tells them "we have a problem". I could go on and on but most of us had good parents who made sure we not only passed but excelled if possible. So many these days just "have kids". Teachers are suppose to raise them, educate them and teach them morals and responsibility for their actions etc. I will bet this tho......farm reared kids do better in school that the city kids and kids from families where both parents work (or neither parent works). Better get off my soap box now. lolol. If I offended you with previous post please accept my sincere apology. It was not intended. :oops:

Lammie":2psg7aox said:
Yes, Cuz, I look for my son's report cards. You can access that stuff online these days, as well, so there really isn't an excuse for not knowing. I let my son's teachers know at the beginning of the year that I desire communication with them, and that if my kid isn't doing well, I want to know about it. If you wait till the report card comes out, it will be too late.

RAB, I think that the TAKS is way over emphasized as well. We teach for that test because the rating a school gets based on scores is extremely important. We are a poor performing school, therefore, the TAKS has been emphasized all the more. At my son's school, when he was little, art and recess were eliminated in favor of TAKS study. And we wonder why kids are fat...

Starting today, there will be a flury of activity to get those grades changed. I can't wait. And the teachers who have taught these kids? Well, they are reviled by other teachers, coaches and kids alike because they won't pass all their students.

It is just so disappointing. I don't think I can return to it next year. I really like my kids, but I don't want to be a part of this. And I have seen this repeatedly. Good teacher leave because they are disgusted and dismayed. And because the skills they have translate into bigger bucks in the "real world". All I know that this summer, I will have some soul searching to do.

That is like us. Of the one that don't just quit and go to work on a ranch or farm. Some graduated and get a jobs in oil field, ranching, farming, ect.. . SOme go to college and give it a try but end up in a technical type training or learn a trade (probably the majority). Few go to college, get a degree, and use that degree.

That is just the way it is. Some one has got to do it. Not every one can be CEOs. :D We do have high scores as a school though even though most don't take that on to a college. THat is what is concerning about yalls situation. :|

Latest posts