Stubble Height

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
We had a custom cutter with a disc bine go down to about a 2" stubble height with some lodged hay. We ended up with seven stemmy 4x5 bales per acre. How high do you leave your stubble?

Stocker Steve":3omwfdns said:
We had a custom cutter with a disc bine go down to about a 2" stubble height with some lodged hay. We ended up with seven stemmy 4x5 bales per acre. How high do you leave your stubble?
in my opion he cut the hay in the dirt.we always set our cutters to cut 3in above the ground.so we wouldnt be cutting into the dirt.

You can get my cutting some grasses that short, fescue for one. But if you try that with OG you might as well plan on reseeding, cause as soon as it gets hot and dry the OG will die

Stocker Steve":cisnokhs said:

About the same as you.

Our conditions allow it.

Bez>

Different species will tolerate low cutting better than others. So it depends. There is however, some pretty good research out on recovery time of plants related to stubble height. If you are planning on a second cutting a 4 inch stubble will more than make up for the lost volume on the first cutting by recovering quicker and producing more volume on your second cutting.

Sounds like you have a good hay crop. From what I've seen, the stubble has little to do with the next cutting. It's fertilizer and water.

I don't have a lot of experience here but it seems that the lower stubble may have something to do with the fact that the hay had started to lodge. Since the hay was laying over the cut may have needed to be lower than normal.

Latest posts