Strays again

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
I am beside myself, i have walked the fences in the woods , and nothing down, talked to the neighbors, nobody is missing stock, and I have 2 more gdm heifers! I do not want them, my herd has been a closed herd, all raised in one place. Calling the sheriff again tomorrow.

If prices are as bad as here probably cheaper to drop off at the neighbors.
Dang near have to pay the salebarn to take one here.
Waiting to see the new year's sales results, they have to go up it's the only direction left.

We are at our stocking limit or a little above, short on good hay. If I can get them up, I'll separate them, bring them to the home place where I have a little grass, and hold them. It's 7bucks a day to keep them in Ok, so if someone ever comes forward, there's the bill. I just don't get it, how they are getting in, is what bothers me the most I guess.

snoopdog":3mvcib4i said:
We are at our stocking limit or a little above, short on good hay. If I can get them up, I'll separate them, bring them to the home place where I have a little grass, and hold them. It's 7bucks a day to keep them in Ok, so if someone ever comes forward, there's the bill. I just don't get it, how they are getting in, is what bothers me the most I guess.

The how is an intriguing question but so is the why. What does your pasture have to offer that they can't find on the outside? Water? Companionship of the herd? Hay?

Seems like you should call your brand inspector. They may not inforce the rate you suggest above since that seems to be around $210 per month but they can probably get them off your property.

TennesseeTuxedo":29woqiz1 said:
snoopdog":29woqiz1 said:

The how is an intriguing question but so is the why. What does your pasture have to offer that they can't find on the outside? Water? Companionship of the herd? Hay?

Depending on thier age,. Mama or sex.

Take a deep breath Snoop. Someday you'll have some roam. I've got a nieghors bull on me right now. Letting him leave him in until things dry up some. Gave him a gate key so he don't have to bother me..lol

The lady that works at the dog kennel place kept stopping and putting my neighbor's cows in my pasture. I put a lock on the gate. Then she wanted to know how to get them out of the road. I told her to call the sheriff I didn't want anything on my winter wheat.

Then someone runs thru your fence and drives off. You get a call that your cows are out and you assume it is the neighbors again. Bad deal.

backhoeboogie":15muczpp said:
The lady that works at the dog kennel place kept stopping and putting my neighbor's cows in my pasture. I put a lock on the gate. Then she wanted to know how to get them out of the road. I told her to call the sheriff I didn't want anything on my winter wheat.

Then someone runs thru your fence and drives off. You get a call that your cows are out and you assume it is the neighbors again. Bad deal.

Lol
True story

Last year I watched two nieghors. Gary who has a registered brangus herd on a couple hundred acres. His bull had been on me earlier btw. Anyway Charlie's bull gets over on Gary. Charlie never gets a call, drives buy and sees his bull in Garys
Pens. Calls him up. Gary says I've got a closed herd, I can't be having any old bull over here. I've called the sherrif and you'll have to deal with them. So he did.
Sheriff came out , boarding fees where charged etc...

Bout a month later guess what happened.... :nod: yep the worm turned.
Only difference is when Gary and a deputy showed up to get his bull . Charlie points to pasture of about 3 sections and says.. he's out there somewheres. Y'all close the gates when your done...... :hat:

callmefence":kw324d5n said:
TennesseeTuxedo":kw324d5n said:
snoopdog":kw324d5n said:

Depending on thier age,. Mama or sex.

Take a deep breath Snoop. Someday you'll have some roam. I've got a nieghors bull on me right now. Letting him leave him in until things dry up some. Gave him a gate key so he don't have to bother me..lol
I know it's a double edged sword fence, we have had the same neighbors forever on the lease place, all good people who would do as you are doing. Same here. I will work with anyone, If I just knew who to work with.

It happens here all the time. And I do mean all the time. But cattle are all branded so it is easy to figure out the owner. No one get excited about it because next time it will be you. Late summer and into the fall cows would regularly come walking down the county road in front of my place. Some turn into my driveway. Water or grass drying up and they head for home. There is a cattle guard in the road about 2 miles down from me. That stops the cows and whoever owns them will come retrieve them.

M-5":2yjpj8jt said:
I have 2 dam miniature ponies in one of my fields for last 2 months. Lady that owns them had back surgery and is unable to fix her fence or come get them . Hopefully they will be gone soon

Man here you better call the sheriff.
Texas has some strange estray laws.
Fifty cent pony end up being a show horse costing you thousands.

Caustic Burno":1jkr5yda said:
M-5":1jkr5yda said:
I have 2 dam miniature ponies in one of my fields for last 2 months. Lady that owns them had back surgery and is unable to fix her fence or come get them . Hopefully they will be gone soon

Sounds like liberals have ruined tx

sstterry":1sgv796p said:
Caustic Burno":1sgv796p said:
As my old uncle used to say " if you want your cows to stay home feed em".

While I appreciate that with cows, that don't always work with Bulls :frowns: :frowns:

Been there done that when I was selling bulls. The sire of this boy ended up being hamburger because of that.

Fence, hot wire didn't mean anything.
Second time he grew wheels to the salebarn.

M-5":221tm9da said:
Caustic Burno":221tm9da said:
M-5":221tm9da said:

Sounds like liberals have ruined tx

No actually these fence and range laws go back to the 1800's. They have common law in the state along with county laws. It is as screwed up as a football bat. Selling one here is theft.

I posted this before it's an entertaining and educational read.

Just because stray livestock are on one's land does not mean the landowner can automatically claim them or remove them by other methods. Disposing of estrays outside of the procedure in Chapter 142 may be considered livestock theft.
https://agrilife.org/texasaglaw/files/2 ... wnload.pdf

Latest posts