Straw Bedding

Help Support CattleToday:

Hasbeen

Reaction score
I've noticed several comments that people are using straw for bedding. I've considered that but figured it would be a waste of time as the cows would just eat it. Will they not eat straw if their regular hay is available? I have seven heifers due to calve any minute now and temps have dropped to near zero at night with a stiff wind. I unloaded the round bales in a line to use as a windbreak from the West and next to a hillside to serve as a Northern break (So of course the current winds are from the Southeast). I didn't put the hay rings around so there would be loose hay scattered about for bedding. If they wont eat it, I will pick up a few bales of straw this evening. How about it?

They'll eat some and pick at it. When the ground is as cold as it is now, we either use old hay or straw just so the calves have something to insulate them from the ground. Surprising how quickly they catch on to burrowing it. But it depends on how things are set up. Some will wander off as far from everyone else, calve and hide their calf there. You can;t have the stuff everywhere.

dun

dun":1kuzubkn said:
They'll eat some and pick at it. When the ground is as cold as it is now, we either use old hay or straw just so the calves have something to insulate them from the ground. Surprising how quickly they catch on to burrowing it. But it depends on how things are set up. Some will wander off as far from everyone else, calve and hide their calf there. You can;t have the stuff everywhere.

dun

True. Plus it's soiled so bad after a couple of days of the bull and the other cows laying around on it they want use it. Perhaps a better idea will be to just have some around when the calves come and spread it then.

You can have your best hay in the feeder and when you put bedding in ,wether it's straw, soybean stalks or corn fodder they'll pick around at it and eat some but they won't eat it all they'll finish the hay. In this kind of weather they they need some fresh bedding.

Been there done that. When you calve in March and April in our area you have no choice. They NEED bedding. Here is what we have found.

If it is cold they will eat some of it. Warm weather they usually won't bother it much. There are some kinds that they like better than others, and if it has grain in it then they really like it. For bedding oats is the worst, then barley they really seem to like the stuff. Old straw is also more palatable it seems. If you want straw they are less likely to eat go with NEW wheat or Durum straw. Rye is also pretty good. Also make sure it is RIPE they like green straw. Weedy straw can also be a problem if they like the weeds.

Ours only eat it when it's first put down. After that, they wont touch it. I guess after they have laid on it and done their business on it, it loses flavor. :lol:

I picked up five bales and scattered about yesterday evening. Like TNT said, they ate most of it and crapped on the rest. I held a few bales back just in case that happened. Guess I'll wait till a calf actually hits the ground and then put some out.

Latest posts