Strangest hide colour...

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
I don't mean to sound like I'm bragging, and I'm not jesting either, but I've got a steer with the strangest coat colour that I have ever seen. He's all red, with a black face, and four black stockings. There's a bit of Red Angus in him, a commercial breed, but I've never seen anything like him, ever. Sorry I don't have a "snazzy" digital camera to post his pic (yet... :roll: ) so I just have to "picture" him the ol' fashioned way.

Maybe nobody has really taken notice of things like this. Anyway, has anyone ever seen any other cattle similar him? Or any other really weird coat colourations if they ever come to mind... Just curious.

Karin

i got a strange sence for something odd i guess. but if i went out in my pasture and seen somthing like that. than you can bet i would have noticed it. before i fall a$$ over tea kettle on this one im gonna demaned a few photos. its always been my moto too believe half of what you see and nothing of what you hear ;-)

Sounds like a younger calf that hasn't shed out the baby hair. It was probably born reddish and as it sheds it will turn black. Heads & legs will show the black first.

Chris H":1zk6d2rh said:
Sounds like a younger calf that hasn't shed out the baby hair. It was probably born reddish and as it sheds it will turn black. Heads & legs will show the black first.

Thanks for the quotes. I think this calf is about 800 lbs now, probably a few months to becoming a yearling and you're probably right about the shedding part, although I sort of disagree with it. Mostly because he is red like that of a red angus. Might apply to horses, yeah, but to cattle.... gee I'll have to do some looking in to that...

ALACOWMAN":3hnhkohx said:
i got a strange sence for something odd i guess. but if i went out in my pasture and seen somthing like that. than you can bet i would have noticed it. before i fall a$$ over tea kettle on this one im gonna demaned a few photos. its always been my moto too believe half of what you see and nothing of what you hear ;-)

Thanks! All the electronics that involves computers here on the farm are two computers and a printer... So sorry again for not being able to post some pics, although I would really love to AND want to. I do have some pics from our "regular" camera (not digital...) but since there's no scanner either... well... you'll just have to believe what you hear for now ;-) .

This sounds like a good excuse to get a digital! What? Might this be a business expense??? :D

This isn't uncommon in the Red Angus cattle. It shows up mostly on Sams Prospector cattle, Prime Rib also but he has Sam in him.

Lots of Prospector cattle will have lots of black on their face as well on their legs.

I had a dark red gelbvieh bull that had a lot of black on his face,ears, and tail I don't think that is uncommon in red angus. I had some herefords that had some black hairs on their ears and tail. I have had a few cows with what I call a birthmark. One had a patch on the side of her neck that had white hairs mixed in. I have had 2 that looked like you freeze branded an O on their hip.

Lammie":1uryfyn1 said:
This sounds like a good excuse to get a digital! What? Might this be a business expense??? :D
You might say that. Dad's looking to buy one when they go on sale... He used a few when he was up in the Cold Lake military base with the Barrhead air cadet squadron, so...yeah.

SEC":1mzi9c8a said:
This isn't uncommon in the Red Angus cattle. It shows up mostly on Sams Prospector cattle, Prime Rib also but he has Sam in him.

Lots of Prospector cattle will have lots of black on their face as well on their legs.
I know one thing: he's no purebred. Which means none of the 99 other steers we have aren't purebred either :D and I'll have to go with you on that, SEC. I had another look at him this morning when I let out about a dozen steers (including him) into a little side-pasture beside the house. The rain (been raining off and on for 4 or 5 days now...) brought out his coloration a bit more, which made for good picture taking weather (regular camera, of course) and I noticed that he had a black stripe running along the top of his neck from his head all the way to his rump, and extended to either side of his tail. I think you guys would call that "line-back" if I'm right.
Maybe we'll have to leave this post until I can get a digital camera (or a scanner, but chances of that are pretty slim) to get some photos on here.

Stick your best photo(s) in an envelope in the mail and ship them to one of the computer-savvy folks on here. :p

milkmaid":31kthqcz said:
Stick your best photo(s) in an envelope in the mail and ship them to one of the computer-savvy folks on here. :p

I could... who to send though?

The markings can be different, it's nothing obvious and never the same pattern. The muzzle be dark color, the legs will go from black to red in a faded pattern.

NCSU Maverick":ferzz183 said:
I'm trying to get a mental picture of this calf. Does it have a jersey-looking color scheme?
Sort of. The nose isn't dark-colored, it's pink. The black part of the face covers the front from the muzzle all the way up to the top of the head. Sort of like a jersey. There's no black on the cheeks or below the eyes. AND there's no white surrounding the nose. So all he is is red and black.

Geez I WISH I had some pictures I could post on here...

Latest posts