Strange Wound

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbillycwo

Reaction score
Had a calf born Monday that has a wound on its head. The calf was born with it. The wound is open and the vet tech thinks that it may be open to the brain. Calf gives no indication of pain or infection and the momma is keeping the wound clean. Calf nurses normally and ambulates fine. Any ideas on what can be done to keep flies off? Have put fly tags on the calf was thinking of putting some kind of gauze over it. We are watching for signs of infection or pain in the calf and should they arise he will be put down. The calf is a good one in all other respects. Weighed 77 pounds at birth. Have any of you seen this before. I havea pic on my cell phone but no way to put it on the board. The wound is centered above the eyes in the high forehead area of the calf about the size of a silver dollar. Hereford cow and Augus bull.

Jeanne,
The vet tech though tit would and I talked with the vet a day later as the wound began bleeding and he said he could do a graft. The calf began to suffer bad and weaken so we decided to put him down. It was the right thing to do. Lost two out of 29 this year with 3 left to calve. It happens I guess but I was bummed out. Thanks again for the reply.

Hate you lost the little one, but as you said it happens. It's not always fun nor easy to do right by them. Hope your last three are easy and healthy.

Latest posts