Strange bag of fluid after calving

Help Support CattleToday:

ShariL

Reaction score
My Jersey cow had her calf this morning. It was her first and she did well. Afterward I noticed that where her (the cow) cord would have been when she was born, it is full of fluid. I've had Dexters for a few years and am not by any stretch of the imagination more than a backyard farmer. My Dexters never had this.

What is it? Is it ok? Will it go away or do I need a vet?

Thanks!!

Sounds like a hernia. She strained and popped it out.They usually don't get over it, it really doesn't seem to hurt them, but vets can fix them.

There is two bags,one with the calf inside it, one with only water. Most commonthe bag with only water comes before the bag with the calf. Most often it breaks. "The water broke" i beleive is the expression in english.
Once in a while the calf comes before the water bag; once in a while the water bag comes out entire, and once in a blue moon these two things happen at once leaving observers to wonder. :2cents:

ANAZAZI":11xhau93 said:
There is two bags,one with the calf inside it, one with only water. Most commonthe bag with only water comes before the bag with the calf. Most often it breaks. "The water broke" i beleive is the expression in english.
Once in a while the calf comes before the water bag; once in a while the water bag comes out entire, and once in a blue moon these two things happen at once leaving observers to wonder. :2cents:

From the description the OP gave it sounds like this bulge appeared at the cow's navel. That doesn't sound like it's the water bag from having the calf. I think Andyva is right and it's a hernia.

Rafter S":2z3kr04x said:
ANAZAZI":2z3kr04x said:

From the description the OP gave it sounds like this bulge appeared at the cow's navel. That doesn't sound like it's the water bag from having the calf. I think Andyva is right and it's a hernia.
I agree, or edema. Dairy cattle seem to develop edema more often then beef... In my limited experience.

Fire Sweep Ranch":1wjfp0iy said:
Rafter S":1wjfp0iy said:
ANAZAZI":1wjfp0iy said:

I agree, or edema. Dairy cattle seem to develop edema more often then beef... In my limited experience.
I agree with the edema suggestion more than the possibility of a hernia.

Here's one of my heifers a few years ago at calving:
452b.jpg

The next week she'd looked like this:
452calf.jpg

She was fine and it didn't happen, as far as I recall, to the same extent (or at all? I'd have to check photos) the following year.

Most likely edema - I really wouldn't be concerned about a hernia. Edema will clear up gradually.
Just from the thread title I thought it was going to be like Anazazi said - most likely a piece of placenta with fluid trapped in it which is quite common, makes you think there's another calf on the way if you don't realise it's the 'after births' clearing out.

It looks just like that picture. It feels like there is water under the skin.

We had one a few years ago that looked just like the picture. No problem and went away in a few days. I think we were told it often occurs in heifers and is a sign of a heavy milker.

Good luck,
Farmgirl

Latest posts