Storm

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
The weather man has been predicting rain for two weeks. We have had three small showers, just enough to green the pastures up. I picked up my winters hay Monday, It's a mixture of wheat, Johnson Grass and Fescue.
At about 5pm today we has a sudden rain storm with very high winds. Rained very heavy and hard. The high wind knocked down three large old trees, two over fences but lucky not property line fences, one over my driveway which smashed the fence. One old Bramah mix cow and calve running all over hell.
The most damage was my metal shop was picked up, spun around and crashed on top of my tractor. It's dark out now so there may be more damage. This is the third time in three months that trees have fell on my fences. I can't even start cleaning up the mess till I get the tractor freed up. The good part is we did'nt loose our power this storm. With all these problems I still would'nt want to live in town.

Hate to hear it to. I've often wondered if there is not some law of nature mandating that a tree fall on a fence. I still haven't finished cleaning up from our storm this spring. I guess I'm hoping rot will work with me.

I hate to hear that Kerley. But, on the bright side, at least you got some rain with it. If I was guaranteed 5 inches I'd go out and run thru a few fences and doze the barn down. :lol:

First rule of trees is they will always fall where they can do the most damage. With 360 degrees in a circle they will always pick the most expensive target. Took me a long time to figure out that pretty tree wasn't worth the pain in the ass.

If anything good came from this storm It was the two inches of rain in our rain guage. My older Brahma x cow ran through a barb wire fence and jumped two more, just abandoned her heifer calve and not a visible scratch on her.

kerley":29hgilb3 said:
If anything good came from this storm It was the two inches of rain in our rain guage. My older Brahma x cow ran through a barb wire fence and jumped two more, just abandoned her heifer calve and not a visible scratch on her.
she musta got a pretty good scare,,, they usually will run through a fence to get to their calf... i had one wade through a barb fence to get to hers, i was knife cutting laying on the other side.... left knife and calf behind

Kerley, I can't believe you got that much rain! All I got was thunder, but I don't wanna sound like I'm complaining. Grass looks better now than it has in all of '11. I never thought I'd be so happy to see all those stubborn bahia tassels!

I was on a tour of a developing research facility this morning and we were looking at the new fences they were putting up. folks were discussing buffers and setbacks etc.

someone made the comment that fences away from the woodland meant less trees falling on the fence. folks near fell off the wagon laughing when I said...." No son....I have seen where trees jumped fifty feet to fall on a fence!"

Latest posts