Storing feed.

Help Support CattleToday:

Buckaroo

Reaction score
I have a question here for everyone. I always see people talking about putting up hay sheds or barns to store their feed in. Say if someone had access to a machine that could make range cubes and as well as access to a machine that makes alfalfa cubes could they make a complete ration out of their feed in a cube form put up some big bins (say 30,000 bushel), make the feed in complete cube form and then put in the bin. Then feeding would be as easy as using a cube feeder or even a feed wagon auger it in than go dump out to cattle. Than as the next year came you could put your feed in this form again put it in top of bin and you would always be using your oldest feed first. All feed should stay stored well, be easy to feed, and take up less room using a bin like this. How do you think this would work if someone had access to the machines and already had the bin up with it just not being used??

Just make sure that you have long stems(rougher the better) in the cubes or you will need some pasture or hay to go with it.

Or you could add gin trash or beet pulp.

Buckaroo":1hmd0a6f said:
I have a question here for everyone. I always see people talking about putting up hay sheds or barns to store their feed in. Say if someone had access to a machine that could make range cubes and as well as access to a machine that makes alfalfa cubes could they make a complete ration out of their feed in a cube form put up some big bins (say 30,000 bushel), make the feed in complete cube form and then put in the bin. Then feeding would be as easy as using a cube feeder or even a feed wagon auger it in than go dump out to cattle. Than as the next year came you could put your feed in this form again put it in top of bin and you would always be using your oldest feed first. All feed should stay stored well, be easy to feed, and take up less room using a bin like this. How do you think this would work if someone had access to the machines and already had the bin up with it just not being used??
In theory you could but in reality it's not feasible are people like dairiymen would have already got it rolling. There are companies that pelletize beet pulp and even cottonseed hulls but they are ground first. Not what a cow needs. I can just imagine what 30,000 bushels of hot molded feed would look like.

TexasBred":3momd7n4 said:
Buckaroo":3momd7n4 said:
In theory you could but in reality it's not feasible are people like dairiymen would have already got it rolling. There are companies that pelletize beet pulp and even cottonseed hulls but they are ground first. Not what a cow needs. I can just imagine what 30,000 bushels of hot molded feed would look like.

So even after it was made if you put it out on concrete pad and scooped around till was completely cooled off then binned it do you think that it would just get to hot in there still and make a big mess. Even if was something like cubes made from hay like alfalfa cubes or grass hay cubes.

First of all I don'think you'll have much luck cubing a TMR...If you happen to get it done and get it cooled down the chances of mold diminish but can always happen. At that point long term storage problems usually are infestation by weevils which will eat most of the grain out of the mix.

You ever emptied a bin? You put fresh on old you keep pulling the fresh out and the old stays. You would have to empty it. Other than that its a good idea but won't work in the real world. Not trying to be critical just trying to answer.

Latest posts