Stoping a bleeder when dehorning.

Help Support CattleToday:

TennCattleMan57":61zqa2ap said:
No sir. Nor have I eaten mountain oysters.

Secondly im not your kid.
Common TennMountainMan, You mean when you drinking that shine you never have a craving for some fried bull nuts. You always need to remember to skin'em before you fry'em.
I know if you eat something that comes out a chickens butt you can sure eat some bull nuts with grossing out.

TennCattleMan57":3to638t6 said:
No sir. Nor have I eaten mountain oysters.

Secondly im not your kid.

Definitely not my kid. They wouldn't gag over putting rubber bands in their mouth. Bull balls ARE mountain oysters. That would make 2 of us who have never eaten them. Anyone who says "Ewwwwwww" on a cattle board ain't been around too long. But stick around, you'll read some pretty good stuff. On second thought just look for pictures and discussion on vaginal and/or anal prolapse.

D.R. Cattle":5ztn1cwx said:
TennCattleMan57":5ztn1cwx said:
Ewwwwww the thought of having something that goes around a bulls balls in your mouth whether it touched their balls or not grosses me out to no end.

Ain't you ever ate bull balls kid? I always heard Tenneseans would eat just about anything.
Only if there's Taters, Fried Corn, and Corn Bread on the plate with it. Git it right. ;-)

Would it work to wire them shut to stop the bleeding then burn the ateries and take off the wire? That would save the hassle of bring them back up and running them through the pens. THanks kaneranch

dun":1z559day said:
TennCattleMan57":1z559day said:
Ewwwwww the thought of having something that goes around a bulls balls in your mouth whether it touched their balls or not grosses me out to no end.

Do you eat eggs?

dun

If he gets grossed out by things that POTENTIALLY touch bulls balls, I'm thinking no! :???:

la4angus":7snd2kcc said:
You always need to remember to skin'em before you fry'em.

Actually, La, if you skewer them on a clothes hanger and roast them over the branding fire you don't have to skin them as the skin splits and can be peeled off. Just a suggestion.

msscamp":3j6ct9h0 said:
la4angus":3j6ct9h0 said:
You always need to remember to skin'em before you fry'em.

Actually, La, if you skewer them on a clothes hanger and roast them over the branding fire you don't have to skin them as the skin splits and can be peeled off. Just a suggestion.
I know an old timer who used to work of Capital back in the day. When they were cutten they would build a fire and toss the testicles in the coals. When they popped they were done. Waste not want not. ;-)

If we have to saw horns off a bought cow, we usually use the dehorning wire, as it cauterizes as you saw.

However, years back when I worked at the auction mart, we dehorned with the big cutters. To slow/stop bleeding besides cauterizing with a hot iron, you can also try this ( have tried the stop bleed powder and not overly impressed):

(Going on the premise that you already have the animal in a headgate, and sure does make it easier if you can throw a rope over the animals head and snub it to keep the animal as immobile as possible.)

1.Take a length of baling twine (you'll figure out how long to cut it as you keep reading).

2.Make a "figure-eight" of the twine by going around the base of each horn and crossing in the middle of the skull.

3. Pull as tight as you can. If you're lucky enough to have help, here's where you can use it, as you can now tie the twine as tight as possible, and it can be tricky to maintain tension while tying off.

4. Wash the blood from the spraying arterial bleeding out of your ears, off your face, and change out of your coveralls before someone mistakes you for an axe-murderer.

5. Cut the twines in the next day or two.

Take care.

We also use the twine trick here, although we tie the twine on before dehorning. We also use sisel twine, so we don't have to run them back through the chute again. It'll simply rot off in a week or so.

Rod

Tod

Now thats what I call fresh; cooking them immediately after removing them from the original package.

jay

J-CCCC":qfx5tdr4 said:
Tod

Now thats what I call fresh; cooking them immediately after removing them from the original package.

jay

If you folks want, I can post a couple of pretty good recipes for what we always called prairie oysters. I never liked them cooked on a spit - but each to his own.

My girls used to collect them at nutting time. Oldest girl will not eat them but those nuts always seem to be a pretty "in demand" item during supper after nutting.

I called the oldest girl a ball buster a couple of years ago and
- real bad move. I thought it was funny as she was running around with an ice cream pail full of testicles.

She managed to get me with a prod when I was not looking - I was pretty ticked but she was backed by about 6 wives and a few of the older daughters of those wives - so I settled down real quick! :lol: Yeah, I am a true coward when it comes to taking threats from the wimmen folk.

Any requests for some recipes and I can provide - pm me if you do not want folks to know you are interested!!! 8)

Bez!

Dad decided to fry some up one time. he was eating them and trying to get me to try some. I told him next time to be a little more selective in the ones he picked out (he just picked some up when we were through) b/c we had some pretty wormy stuff out there. lol. he wound up throwing up a few minutes later.

Latest posts