Stones?

Help Support CattleToday:

georgiabob

Reaction score
I've got an older cow that is straining to urinate but is urinating. A couple of weeks ago she was in heat and had scours and hung back from the rest of the cows. I wormed them all and she seemed to feel better after 3 or 4 days. She was never off her feed but she's still a little runny. They have all been hitting trace minerals hard recently. They are on hay and getting about 3 pounds of grain a day right now. I'll be turning them out on bahia that's been resting and annual rye grass.
Long winded but does this sound like stones?

What is her BCS - has she lost weight? Does she look like this cow when she's straining to urinate? This girl smelled a little rank and I thought she had a urinary tract infection and her poo was pretty runny. Vet diagnosed her with lymphoma. View attachment 36932
She was arching like that but she's an easy keeper and is still in good condition.

Does it stink when she poops? Not like cow 💩 but like a dead roitting nasty smell? Older cow? Johnies is the first thing that comes to mind
Smells like cud. That always smells worse than manure to me. She's not losing condition anymore than I would expect this time of year.

No, manure looks a little tighter the las couple of days, and the back arching started yesterday. I was late worming and thought she might have a heavy worm load when this started. She's 12 or 13, still has good teeth and hasn't been a problem before now. I've had her since 2020

I'm pretty sure she has an infection in her reproductive tract. It is important to get her treated as soon as possible I think. I had one with exact same situation and maybe I waited too long for it to clear up, but I couldn't save her. It took about 6 weeks but it finally killed her. The exceed could not overcome the mass by the time I intervened.
My recommendation is get her to a vet asap and get her treated.

Latest posts