Stomach Feeding

Help Support CattleToday:

ptb

Reaction score
I have a Holstien calf 2 months old that is coughing and his stomach sounds like a empty can sometimes when he swollowes.
He readily takes a electrolite solution, but doesn't want to
drink the milk. He was baught at a stock sale and then given to us. We have taken him to a Vet who gave him nufore and we're
giving him shots of Thiamine & B Complex. He just seems not to be doing any better. His stools look ok and he pees twice a day. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We are keeping him in a heated garage (60 degrees) and he is in a clean enviroment.

A Holstein at that age ismost likely already weaned. Fresh water, a high quilaity calf starter grain and a good quality non-alfalfa hay is what's needed. Get him out of the gargage and into thefresh air.

dun

If the garage has a cement floor, then get that calf outta there right now, I don't care how warm you've got the garage heated. Also, get some probios down him and keep giving it to him every time you give him the electrolytes. In fact, if he's poop is not runny, why are you giving him electrolytes. Overload on electrolytes can cause problems, also.

He's 2 months old. Have you given him any dry calf feed? He's well old enough to be eating it. Get him some Calf Manna and try to get him to eat it. I'd bet he will. In fact, he might even eat regular dry calf feed. He's lived to be 2 months old...he'll most likely be ok without anymore milk replacer...Don't tube that calf milke replacer! Don't tube that calf anything. If the vet thinks he needs to be tubed, get the vet to do it.

What about water? He's only peeing twice a day...he needs more water. Get some strawberry jello, if he won't drink plain water, and mix him bottles of strawberry jello water. But, if you're providing him water free choice, I doubt that you'll need to.

Also, put some coastal type hay out for him to eat.

Big thing right now...get that calf OUTSIDE into his natural environment. I don't know where you live...if it's cold there, put some hay or bedding in his pen, make sure the pen has a roof and sides for shelter, but also has enough room that he can walk and even jump around in an area that is not covered.

You can make a pen out of hog panels and tin really, really easy. Tin across the top, tin across the back, tin on the sides...leaving the front open. Then attach hog panels to the opening making a sort of pen type run for him so he can get OUTSIDE.

Oh, and the thiamine shots...why? I'm not one to question your vet, but why all of the continual shots?

That's all I can think of at this minute...just get that calf outside and keep that calf outside. Please.

Alice

Latest posts