Stockpiling grass

Help Support CattleToday:

rnh1

Reaction score
Anybody out there stockpile fescue and/or Bermuda grass for fall/winter grazing?

In our neck of the woods that is how we get through winter, mostly native pasture with some temperate grasses through it and clover in a good year, hay is only bought in in bad drought years. We have fairly decent frosts most winter mornings but the days warm up nicely. The ideal situation is how things have been this year with good height and volume of grass going into winter, the ranker taller stuff will give a bit of cover to better quality feed down low, it looks like this year the clover is doing pretty well and will provide a bit of higher protein down low. If we get a good rain in early spring the clover will provide the bulk of feed until the summer grasses start growing in November.
I do find with our stockpiled grass if I don't use over the winter months I tend to lose it as it just falls over and rots.
Ken

+1 fescue
I have put some ammonium nitrate on in the fall but didn't feel like it was a good bang for the buck. May do it again this year if I'm worried about hay.

I have seen Bermuda stock piled here. Older open cows did fine if supplemented with protein tubs. Feller that did it bought some thin broke mouth cows and did pretty good with them.

I'm out of the hay business now and buying mine. Just wondered how others do it. If I get sufficient moisture it should be worth buying fertilizer. I intend to strip graze it. Any suggestions anyone?

I stock pile fesue also. I put 50 units of Urea on it in early September and also drilled winter wheat into the sod. I sent forage samples to VA Tech in December and it tested 21.6% protein. Had some that I did not put the Urea on and it tested 12.3%. I will do it all this fall.

Kenny if you don't mind me asking whats the urea cost spread per acre in your area . I got a recent quote for granular nitrogen for 160 acres at $10K or 60 acres around $3500 . Can't see how to make $ like that . The county spread sludge for free for years on my place- family and neighbors have put a stop to this , I gotta start looking into something different

kenny thomas":mlbyeac3 said:
I stock pile fesue also. I put 50 units of Urea on it in early September and also drilled winter wheat into the sod. I sent forage samples to VA Tech in December and it tested 21.6% protein. Had some that I did not put the Urea on and it tested 12.3%. I will do it all this fall.

How did u end up grazing the wheat. I know u posted asking how to graze it where it was such high protein.

BobbyLummus1":1tkd0k9y said:
Kenny if you don't mind me asking whats the urea cost spread per acre in your area . I got a recent quote for granular nitrogen for 160 acres at $10K or 60 acres around $3500 . Can't see how to make $ like that . The county spread sludge for free for years on my place- family and neighbors have put a stop to this , I gotta start looking into something different
Bobby, of the top of my head I actually don't remember the urea cost. I spread the P and K last fall also so the cost was not just the urea.
Picking up 35-0-0 in the morning to boost 15 acres of it up for hay. Again the P and K was applied last fall so it is ready to work now.

pricefarm":2n4u0md5 said:
kenny thomas":2n4u0md5 said:

How did u end up grazing the wheat. I know u posted asking how to graze it where it was such high protein.
I ended up never letting the cows on it. I had several weaned calves and just gave them an acre or so at a time. Took them off of it late this afternoon and gonna spread 35-0-0 on it in the next few days. The ground is so wet I cant get on it now.

BobbyLummus1":3k91la6j said:
In Kansas, you are going to run around $0.50-$0.53/# of actual nitrogen. Most common granular nitrogen is going to be 46% nitrogen. Add on another $5-$7/acre to spread, and I don't know any rates, but you should be getting around 100-110 pounds of nitrogen for that price. I don't have a breakdown for fescue or Bermuda, but for 1 ton of Brome, you are removing 33 pounds of nitrogen, and one ton of Orchardgrass you are removing 50 pounds of nitrogen. You will have some cycling and a little from the manure, but 100# probably isn't out of line for the whole year.
That being said, we are in a short-grass prairie ecosystem where fertilization of pasture will only get you more weeds, so I don't know that much about stockpiling or fertilizing pasture.

I never understood why, but my stockpiled grass last year ------They just wouldn't eat it. Never seen that before, and hope I never see it again.

Bigfoot":zv9wnrha said:
I never understood why, but my stockpiled grass last year ------They just wouldn't eat it. Never seen that before, and hope I never see it again.

Mine did that when I dropped hay too early one year. Now all the stockpile has to be almost gone before they get a bale.