Stocking rates

Help Support CattleToday:

scvfd_7241

Reaction score
just wanting some feedback on different operations. What is your lot size and stocking rates? How many lots do you have? Also in your state are you considered a cafo.

kenny thomas said:
Dave said:
kenny thomas said:
What is a cafo?
Confined Animal Feeding Operation

Thanks

The exact requirements of what it takes to be considered a CAFO is a good size book. The number of animals varies by species and how they are raised. I remember the number for a confinement dairy it is 700 cows. I think with beef it is 1,000 head.

In NC the cafo for cattle is 100 or more confined. But I'm more interested in your lots/pasture size and stocking rates

My stocking rate is too low this year but that's ok also. About a cow/calf pair per 3 acres. I could easily do a cow/c per 1.5-2 acres.
My paddocks range from 3-8 acres accordingly to the terrain and how I could access the water system. I rotate through them at a rate of once a week. Hope to feed hay 3 weeks this year unless it snows.

Also to be considered a CAFO you have them restricted to an area with no vegetative growth. Thus you are confining animals and feeding them. Critters out to pasture don't count. Even if you are feeding them on pasture.

At my house I was running 1 pair for every 1&1/2 acres with beef cows moving them every 7 days I sold all my beef cows and bought corriente and Longhorns
I'm running 1 pair per acre And I move them
Every 12-14 day's depending on which pasture they are on.

Latest posts