Stocking rate question

Help Support CattleToday:

tdc_cattle

Reaction score
I'm thinking about double cropping with something other then beans this summer. Thinking about trying some kind of forage, maybe pearl millet? I'll plant it after wheat harvest in mid June. Just lookinging for an estimate of how many feeders I could run on an acre?

I'm trying to figure out potential profits per acre compared to beans. One of my goals is to get a winter forage planted around sept 1 for winter grazing so I'm looking at 45 days grazing in that situation. Or I guess if there is something I can plant for summer grazing in June that won't winter kill and I can use as winter pasture that'd be an option but I don't know what that would be.

Idk the answer to your question, but Dad sowed some millet one year. Man that stuff turned out the tonnage. Big time grazing. Sheriff called his neighbor, said someone called in to tell about some cattle out in somebodies corn field, eating/ruining it. Neighbor called to verify Dad had turned his calves in to the millet.

tdc_cattle":3uuz1v39 said:
I'm thinking about double cropping with something other then beans this summer. Thinking about trying some kind of forage, maybe pearl millet? I'll plant it after wheat harvest in mid June. Just lookinging for an estimate of how many feeders I could run on an acre?

I'm trying to figure out potential profits per acre compared to beans. One of my goals is to get a winter forage planted around sept 1 for winter grazing so I'm looking at 45 days grazing in that situation. Or I guess if there is something I can plant for summer grazing in June that won't winter kill and I can use as winter pasture that'd be an option but I don't know what that would be.

Guy here who does that usually has 3 to the acre he told me when we talked on the pearl millet

Not to highjack the thread, but how late can you plant pearl millet and have something? I have a field next to a pasture that I'm planting to a 2.7 bean, hopefully early enough to cut in August and plant a forage. We normally don't get a frost until the last part of October.

Clodhopper":167ig1me said:
Not to highjack the thread, but how late can you plant pearl millet and have something? I have a field next to a pasture that I'm planting to a 2.7 bean, hopefully early enough to cut in August and plant a forage. We normally don't get a frost until the last part of October.

I'd think winter wheat would be a better option.

tdc_cattle":1u9jfepm said:
Thinking about trying some kind of forage, maybe pearl millet? I'll plant it after wheat harvest in mid June. Just lookinging for an estimate of how many feeders I could run

U of MN did a multi year multi site study on summer planted forages. Check it out. Their milk per acre ranking results were:

1) silage corn
2) SS
3) millet

Late seeding up here is cereal rye. I don't think winter wheat would make it some years.

tdc_cattle":236t1fzc said:
Clodhopper":236t1fzc said:

I thought about sewing triticale after the (possible) millet gets grazed down. I want to put something in immediately after the beans, if I sew wheat or triticale too soon, I'm afraid it will be too mature to survive the winter, unless we have another winter like this one. Heck, I may just sew bin run corn and turnips to get some quick grazing, followed up by the winter annual for late fall and spring.

Stocker Steve":2fjg8k2y said:
The parts often missed when going on an annual forage adventure are what is the cost per lb DM, and what is the ADG?

ADG is going to be the lowest here during the millet season.

Clodhopper":3sfx0igc said:
tdc_cattle":3sfx0igc said:
Clodhopper":3sfx0igc said:

I thought about sewing triticale after the (possible) millet gets grazed down. I want to put something in immediately after the beans, if I sew wheat or triticale too soon, I'm afraid it will be too mature to survive the winter, unless we have another winter like this one. Heck, I may just sew bin run corn and turnips to get some quick grazing, followed up by the winter annual for late fall and spring.

If your going to graze the triticale or cereal rye I don't think it'd be to mature. I've planted triticale and turnips in august in semi and not had problems.

Stocker Steve":ctujza7j said:
tdc_cattle":ctujza7j said:
Thinking about trying some kind of forage, maybe pearl millet? I'll plant it after wheat harvest in mid June. Just lookinging for an estimate of how many feeders I could run

U of MN did a multi year multi site study on summer planted forages. Check it out. Their milk per acre ranking results were:

1) silage corn
2) SS
3) millet

Late seeding up here is cereal rye. I don't think winter wheat would make it some years.

As would also be an option. I don't want to go with silage corn because of the cost to harvest it. Something I can rotationally graze will work better for what I'm wanting to do.

tdc_cattle":99mhsazs said:
Clodhopper":99mhsazs said:
tdc_cattle":99mhsazs said:

If your going to graze the triticale or cereal rye I don't think it'd be to mature. I've planted triticale and turnips in august in semi and not had problems.
I've never planted it that early, it's good to hear from someone who has. I'll probably just go ahead with the triticale and turnips in that case. Thanks for the info.

Corn is a grass and you can graze it.
You need to focus on planning date and moisture available when making a annual forage choices.
Mixes spread the risk and usually outperform mono cultures.

Stocker Steve":19v4b7ja said:
Corn is a grass and you can graze it.
You need to focus on planning date and moisture available when making a annual forage choices.
Mixes spread the risk and usually outperform mono cultures.

Earliest I can plant it is June 1. If I harvest the wheat, which is my intent, it'll be closer to the 21st. I've planted corn in late may for a neighbor that made quite a bit of silage but we had well above normal rainfall that year. I think millet or ss is going do better for me in that time period. Millet I don't have the Prussic acid concern which is why I'm leaning that way. What legume would you plant with it? If I'm baling it I'd add field peas but grazing I don't know that I'd see benefit.

How do you graze corn? We graze volunteer corn but that seems like mostly water. Seems like it'd be wasteful but I've never done it.

Clodhopper":2ydkfaqs said:
tdc_cattle":2ydkfaqs said:
Clodhopper":2ydkfaqs said:

I've never planted it that early, it's good to hear from someone who has. I'll probably just go ahead with the triticale and turnips in that case. Thanks for the info.

I don't know why it auto corrected SWMO to semi but I'm in SWMO. I planted triticale and turnips in late august and was able to graze it till April when I terminated it to plant corn.

I was just running my moms on it but when it took off in the spring they couldn't keep up. Probably had a stocking rate of 1.5:1.

tdc_cattle":1uidy2bt said:
Clodhopper":1uidy2bt said:
tdc_cattle":1uidy2bt said:

I don't know why it auto corrected SWMO to semi but I'm in SWMO. I planted triticale and turnips in late august and was able to graze it till April when I terminated it to plant corn.

I was just running my moms on it but when it took off in the spring they couldn't keep up. Probably had a stocking rate of 1.5:1.
I've been planting triticale for hay for a few years, but have never grazed it. I love it, it makes a lot of good quality hay, and I get it off in time to get a practically full season bean crop behind it. I may plant corn behind it, or may let it go for hay/beans.

It will lay next to a new fescue pasture I seeded last fall. I'll graze the fescue late summer, then turn them onto the triticale to not overgraze the fescue.

Latest posts