stocker cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7

Reaction score
i have always bought my own calves but i'm thinking about trying a broker like superior.
has anyone used a broker(not an order buyer)
what was your experience ?
are the vac 45 type cattle worth the added cost ?

I have and can't complain esoecially if you consider your time as being money. Never bought vac45 cattle only sold them and they do come with certain guarantees that benefit the end buyer.

i think the quality of the cattle will be better than putting together groups of unknown cattle.
i'm not so sure the profit will be better :D

Superior is not a broker, they are a commission company just like your local auction market. You buy there just like you are going to the sale. The Vac 45 calves still need to be treated when you get them. Their advantage is that the calves' immune system has been stimulated and chances are you will have far less problems than with calves that were weaned on the way to the sale, never had a vaccination, need to be castrated and do not know what a feed bunk or water trough is.

BC":bzh2rwv0 said:
Superior is not a broker, they are a commission company just like your local auction market. You buy there just like you are going to the sale. The Vac 45 calves still need to be treated when you get them. Their advantage is that the calves' immune system has been stimulated and chances are you will have far less problems than with calves that were weaned on the way to the sale, never had a vaccination, need to be castrated and do not know what a feed bunk or water trough is.

Another advantage I see with this type program is the calves are already comingled and that stress is behind them. IMO-the stress placed upon calves by comingling animals from multiple different herds is one of the greatest causes of sickness in newly purchased put-together calves. Since I have started limiting my newly purchased salebarn calves to a maximum group size of 25 head for the first 3-4 weeks, my sickness have dropped noticeably. After 3-4 weeks and all are healthy, the small groups are combined.

An additional advantage to the video sales is the calves are not run thru a salebarn and exposed to other infections. They are shipped directly from the seller to the buyer.

If you have time,facilities and skills- the good money, is in putting together your own load.
If you lack time,facilities, or skills-- putting in a preconditioned load will make you money, where starting a load could cost you BIG if things went bad.
Also if you are putting in back to back calves- buying preconditioned calves helps control the spread of sickness between groups. So some big places have found it pays not to bring in stockyard calves.

seems like buying a group of calves from ranch with similar genetics that have been weaned and vaccinated would cut back on sickness, death loss and mature at the same rate.
then when they hit 750-800 you could market them via the broker as feeder cattle.
oppossed to having a group of calves of different genetics that are of every shape and size as put together cattle seem to mature differently.
i always seem to buy too many "bargains" and end up with a bunch of misfits.
one thing that concerns me is the brokered cattle bring a premium so the profit margin may not be as much, but maybe less imput and less risk.

I know it will vary, but I haven't known anyone personally that used a broker. So how much more? For example last week I was at the sale barn in Fruitland MO and the best stockers (400-700 lb) were running $155-$160 (cwt). Give me an idea what a broker might charge? Are the cattle prices the same or more and is a commission the big difference?

Goodlife":fsg9wn7d said:
I know it will vary, but I haven't known anyone personally that used a broker. So how much more? For example last week I was at the sale barn in Fruitland MO and the best stockers (400-700 lb) were running $155-$160 (cwt). Give me an idea what a broker might charge? Are the cattle prices the same or more and is a commission the big difference?

this is the only one i know of that has a website that has the price for the cattle listed.
the others i know of you have to call and talk to and see what they have listed
http://www.superiorlivestock.com/superi ... ?landing=1

I think it is a very good idea but the downside is you are bidding against some of the best in the industry. Just make sure you have the selling taken care of before you buy. Lock in prices not just for calves but also for feed that will show you where the profit is. Add in trucking costs. In the end the profit may be less but the headaches will be less also.
There should be local sales of preconditioned cattle that you might consider also. Good calves that are raised in your area on your forage will always do best for you.

I prefer vac 45 loads and will pay a premium for them. Really don't put together calves from barns, too many variables. In fact, I would prefer not to buy single load deals if I can buy fewer sets of multiple loads of single ranches. Fewer health programs to worry about and hopefully more consistency in the cattle. That is however, easier said then done.

Latest posts