Stocker calves

Help Support CattleToday:

ez14.

Reaction score
How much do you expect your stocker calves to gain per day? And how much does it cost you to keep them per day?

In the winter time I expect them to gain about 1 pound per day. This is on 6-7 pounds feed and very little pickin in the pasture. If they get any hay at all it's a partial roll left over from feeding the cows. I'm just trying to build frame and get them ready for the spring grass though. I have fed them 10# a day and got what I would guess at closer to 2#s. Finally got a set of scales going so maybe I can start keeping better records. Feed cost for me is 12 cents a pound this year so 70-80 cents a day. I did have a few health issues with them this year. Once I Dr the herd and it cost $130 and one got a shot of Draxxin that cost $42 if you include the dart. Fuel cost is minimal as I'm right by them feeding the cows. Bigfoot wtote a pretty good post on his experience this year.

I'm surprised there aren't more replies about stockers on this forum too. I've been keeping mine for several years now and feel that it at least pays your money back. Some years I feel like I wasted my time but that's how you learn the game.

If I had the feed and the pasture I'd sure like to try. I'd at least like to be able to keep the lighter end of my steers over winter and sell onto grass. Maybe someday.

Our winter hay is generally not strong enough to get big gains on calves. Hay with 6 lbs of screenings pellets or 3 lb barley and 3 lb screenings will get us about 1 1/4 lb per day gain. Not cheap on a cost of gain basis but usually try to buy cattle that will increase in value with management.

We did background all our calves in 08 and 09. Those two years made us a bunch of money.

With my employer selling out he would like to rent out the barn space and sell the feed in the silos and he hasn't figured out a good way to sell it. I am wondering if I could make money renting the barn and buying the feed to take calves from 400ish to 800ish and reselling them

ez14. said:
With my employer selling out he would like to rent out the barn space and sell the feed in the silos and he hasn't figured out a good way to sell it. I am wondering if I could make money renting the barn and buying the feed to take calves from 400ish to 800ish and reselling them

As long as you or someone you know is sharp enough to get the buying done right. How many are you thinking?

gcreekrch said:
ez14. said:

As long as you or someone you know is sharp enough to get the buying done right. How many are you thinking?
20 calves for the first batch

ez14. said:
gcreekrch said:
ez14. said:

How much do 300 lb Holsteins cost and what are 800 to 900 lb Holsteins worth? Might be a cheap way to get your feet wet. They gain like crazy if fed too.

gcreekrch said:
ez14. said:
gcreekrch said:

How much do 300 lb Holsteins cost and what are 800 to 900 lb Holsteins worth? Might be a cheap way to get your feet wet. They gain like crazy if fed too.
Average at the closest sale barn has 300 pounders going for $285 and 900 pounders going for $742.

Now beef type calves have 300 pounders going for $330 and 900 pounders going for $945

ez14. said:
gcreekrch said:
ez14. said:

Average at the closest sale barn has 300 pounders going for $285 and 900 pounders going for $742.

Now beef type calves have 300 pounders going for $330 and 900 pounders going for $945

Beef type calves make more sense if they will perform then. What is your cost of gain without your time included. We always figure any profit is what we are paid for our time and machinery.

gcreekrch said:
ez14. said:
gcreekrch said:

Beef type calves make more sense if they will perform then. What is your cost of gain without your time included. We always figure any profit is what we are paid for our time and machinery.
I have not talked to my employer about it yet so I don't know what the space and feed would cost yet (or the beding etc...) I'm trying to figure out what I would gross on them so I know what I would be willing to pay my employer before I talk to him about it

ez14. said:
gcreekrch said:
ez14. said:

I have not talked to my employer about it yet so I don't know what the space and feed would cost yet (or the beding etc...) I'm trying to figure out what I would gross on them so I know what I would be willing to pay my employer before I talk to him about it

Therein lies the question.

gcreekrch said:
ez14. said:
gcreekrch said:

Therein lies the question.
yeah

gcreekrch said:
ez14. said:
gcreekrch said:

My experience is holsteins don't convert feed well until about 650lbs, then its on. Stockering in the winter is a tough game, if you can get them to the frame size at green up, there is money to be made, if you have the grass to go the distance. When the heat hits they slow down, just as with the cold. Buying them right is the best money, and the easiest.

My weaned angus cross calves from my own herd on scrubby oats and 5 to 6 lbs a day of 14% creep fed 3 or 4 days a week gained about 1 1/2lb /day over 60 days. I had a few that were only weaned 45 days that did just over 1 lb/day.
I had a few that were 105 days weaned that gained 1.8 lb/days.
These were implanted.

It goes to show why the buyers want them weaned as long as they can get.

You can add a pound a day to the above figures when you have early to mid summer grass and the temperature is moderate.

Summer gains on my stocker steers (Heifers gained roughly .25 less) for the last two years were as follows:

2017 turned out on native and bermuda grasses fed only occasionally to keep them coming up. Bought in May sold in November. No mineral, no implants. 1.32 lbs. adg.

2018 same pasture and feed, bought in May sold in October. Added mineral with CTC and implants to all. 1.57 lbs. adg.

Latest posts