Stock... Sell or hold?

Help Support CattleToday:

millstreaminn

Reaction score
I've got one stock in particular that I wished I didn't have. RIG (Transocean) I'm in for a bunch of shares at $18.73. Current value runs just north and south of $10.00. I'm thinking about selling most of it and buying something else. Facebook, Amazon, Citibank, pretty much anything else.

Looks like oil is gonna be stuck in the $40-$60 dollar range for awhile. I could see Facebook or Amazon doubling in price before Rig. Any ideas? Thanks-

Amazon's been awful hot. Pretty sure I just saw a positive news blimp on the TV in the bank lobby this morning.

millstreaminn":nhvr10lw said:
I've got one stock in particular that I wished I didn't have. RIG (Transocean) I'm in for a bunch of shares at $18.73. Current value runs just north and south of $10.00. I'm thinking about selling most of it and buying something else. Facebook, Amazon, Citibank, pretty much anything else.

Looks like oil is gonna be stuck in the $40-$60 dollar range for awhile. I could see Facebook or Amazon doubling in price before Rig. Any ideas? Thanks-
Sit on it.

I'm no stock Playa but if I was gonna own oil stock I don't think it would be with transocean. I think you'll see land drilling companies stock coming up before offshore. However I think they will all bounce back this year.

TexasBred":3ib4y1by said:
millstreaminn":3ib4y1by said:

Sit on it.

Been sitting on it since 12/18/2014. :yuck:

Craig Miller":sx7i3rmc said:
I'm no stock Playa but if I was gonna own oil stock I don't think it would be with transocean. I think you'll see land drilling companies stock coming up before offshore. However I think they will all bounce back this year.

Oil stocks have been down but seem to be working their way back. I've been buying some ConocoPhillips and ExxonMobil all along $25 - $50 worth at a time.

Buy low. Sell high. Easy to say. Hard to do. So I just buy, and keep buying :idea:

John SD":3u884m89 said:
Craig Miller":3u884m89 said:

Oil stocks have been down but seem to be working their way back. I've been buying some ConocoPhillips and ExxonMobil all along $25 - $50 worth at a time.

Buy low. Sell high. Easy to say. Hard to do. So I just buy, and keep buying :idea:

I loaded up on oil stock when the price of a barrel fell to $60.00 Smart tv people said it couldn't go any lower. I am heavy on drillers, producers and transports. Needless to say, my portfolio looks pretty sad with 60% invested in oil.

millstreaminn":2uzyw88e said:
John SD":2uzyw88e said:
Craig Miller":2uzyw88e said:

I loaded up on oil stock when the price of a barrel fell to $60.00 Smart tv people said it couldn't go any lower. I am heavy on drillers, producers and transports. Needless to say, my portfolio looks pretty sad with 60% invested in oil.

Ouch!

Never get too heavy into any one sector.

Craig Miller":21elzg05 said:
If I wanted to get into some stock how would I go about doing that

I use Scottrade. $7.00 per trade and they are currently running a promotion if you deposit $10,000, they will give you 50 free trades. If you deposit more than that, they give free trades and a nice cash bonus. Most all online companies do a similar sort of promotion, though.

TennesseeTuxedo":3qvzyezz said:
millstreaminn":3qvzyezz said:
John SD":3qvzyezz said:

Ouch!

Never get too heavy into any one sector.

I kept trying to average down when the prices kept falling. Didn't take long to get too heavy on oil stock. :roll:

millstreaminn":33r0bjeg said:
Craig Miller":33r0bjeg said:
If I wanted to get into some stock how would I go about doing that

I use Scottrade. $7.00 per trade and they are currently running a promotion if you deposit $10,000, they will give you 50 free trades. If you deposit more than that, they give free trades and a nice cash bonus. Most all online companies do a similar sort of promotion, though.
What do they give you if you deposit $100

Depends--do you have enough other income to make use of a tax loss sale?

It would be hard for me to sell any equity at a nearly 50% loss on buy in value. RIG is still making a profit (reported $249 Million profit 1st qtr 2016) but how much of that is a result of cost cutting measures is unknown. They still have a backlog of work yet to do, mostly for Shell and Chevron, but both those companies are cutting back exploration.

The only way I see to "make $" in this case would be to sell at current price, hold the proceeds and hope it drops to half or more current value and buy back in, assuming a rebound begins thereafter, but I just don't see RIG dropping to $2-3/share.

As far as buying another stock, some of the ones I have seen mentioned in other posts are at or near all time highs.Wrong time to buy IMO.

millstreaminn":1dlr9amr said:
Been sitting on it since 12/18/2014. :yuck:

Warren Buffet usually holds one for 12 quarters until he sells. He's done OK for himself.

Facebook has a really high P/E at 72.54. That's way too high for me to be excited about.
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=fb&ql=1

Amazon' P/E is sitting north of 297. That's not too much better of an option.
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=amzn&ql=1

From all of the research that I've done, the best option is to buy mutual funds. Yes, they do take a small percentage (mine are all under 1%) to manage them, but they sit around looking at stocks all day long. They have information that you and I are not privy to, and know what rocks to look under for better options than just the big name stocks. If that does not sound good to you, I suggest the Motley Fool. You can get a free month subscription to them to do research and then dump the magazine (or pay over $100/yr if you're rich). They have some wonderful advice and typically do really well. They have a couple different magazines that offer a bunch of different type of stock types (blue chip, large cap, small cap, etc) for a bunch of different types of investing needs.

Good luck!

Latest posts