Still haying.

Help Support CattleToday:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
We fed 600 cows on this 40 acres last winter for a month.

200 cows got fed here for 6 weeks. 46 5x5 bales from 14 acres. Best it has done in the previous 10 years was 18 5x6 bales. The wonders of putting back what one takes out.

What did you put back in to get a cut like that? We've only got 2" of rain all summer. There's not that much grass in the whole county

nice! though I gotta say, I've had limited success by feeding cows where I want the fertility... I know it wouldn't work at all for you, and it only kinda works for me, but corralling the cows, making compost, and then spreading that where you want it, that seems to work far better. Last year I spread some out on a field after the first cut, you can still see the stripes from the manure spreader.

Nesikep said:
nice! though I gotta say, I've had limited success by feeding cows where I want the fertility... I know it wouldn't work at all for you, and it only kinda works for me, but corralling the cows, making compost, and then spreading that where you want it, that seems to work far better. Last year I spread some out on a field after the first cut, you can still see the stripes from the manure spreader.

Far cheaper to let the cows do the spreading. We do clean corrals and pens every year but like feeding on the weak spots during the winter.

Latest posts