Steve

Help Support CattleToday:

denvermartinfarms":1wxjawqo said:
What forest was this on?

I think this is it--Harrison County near Saucier Miss? DeSoto National Forest.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/two ... pi-n332966

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news ... /70769164/
Two men who died in a helicopter crash in Harrison County were unable to free themselves from the aircraft as it burned in the DeSoto National Forest, authorities said at a Tuesday press conference.

635634845308980064-deso.jpg

Officials told reporters that the pilot, Brandon Ricks, 40, is from Blanchard, Okla., and 55-year-old Steven Cobb is from Wiggins. Cobb worked for the U.S. Forest Service. One man survived the crash, but his name has not been released. He underwent surgery Monday at the University of South Alabama Medical Center in Mobile. He is currently in serious condition.

Autopsies show Cobb died of blunt force trauma and Ricks died of smoke inhalation, Harrison County Gary Hargrove said.

The 1980 model Bell 206 L1 helicopter is owned by Oklahoma's T&M Aviation. The crew had been monitoring an 800-acre controlled burn along the Harrison and Stone County lines.

The crash was reported at 2:57 p.m. Monday about a mile from Airey Town Road. Investigators said the helicopter hit several trees as it crashed along a 30-foot path.

The NTSB and the FAA are conducting an investigation into the crash, talking to witnesses and looking into the background of the pilot, officials said. They will look into his training and flight proficiency, as well as doing a complete examination of the aircraft. Other factors to be considered are the weather conditions, environmental factors, and radar data.

NTSB investigator Steven Stein said if any systematic deficiencies are found concerning the pilot, the helicopter, or the environment, the board will work to come to a safety recommendation to prevent future similar accidents.

While a preliminary report should be on the NTSB's website within two weeks, it could take up to a year to complete the investigation. There should be a brief probable-cause report available within two months.

Sad and depressing. Almost happened to a crew I was part of when we nearly flew into a power line while using helicopter for aerial surveillance. We were in steep mountainous terrain. None of seen the power lines until we were in them.

Sorry for the loss of your friend.......I am 5 months away from retirement and the thought of something like this happening will drive you nuts if you let it.

My condolences :tiphat:

Deepsouth":15vj8hj0 said:
Jo we never know what the day holds for us do we.

Kenny I figured you knew about it but am surprised that you have already been in contact with some people who were there. They're being pretty tight lipped about it here. Not even the media getting much information. The pilot was from Oklahoma. The third person who was on the chopper was changed from critical condition to serious.
We didnt get a lot of info other that some brief details. What Greybeard posted is pretty much what we got but even without the names. The final report will be a while im sure.

Unless they inadvertently flew into trees, limbs or anther object, it may take awhile to determine----------assuming of course the surviving crew member is unable to shed more light on the accident.
It is often very difficult to judge the distance from rotating rotor tips to an object. Helos, even with total engine loss, can autorotate to a survivable landing IF they still have forward air speed and several hundred feet of altitude (how much altitude required is dependent on type helo and how heavily it is loaded).

The one that was sent to USA medical was talking yesterday. Some of the guys from here went to see him. He is progressing well. Burned 13% of his body and had some internal injuries. Broke his neck also. He tried getting the other 2 out but couldnt. He was only secured in by a safety strap. The pilot and steve was strapped in to seats. It is a tragedy for sure. I know most of the guys that was on the fire. They are all just hanging in there. Some went out yesterday and saw the crash site. I know that they are doing skin grafts on the one at USA friday. I also know that the ground crews didnt know that the helo went down for a little while. Not sure why they didnt know it had crashed. Like kenny said, it will be a while before we know the answers to it all even if we get to know all of the answers. My mom just retired end of last year from there. She has been able to get me information as it comes available. Tomorrow is the wake from 4-6 and funeral is saturday at 11. It is going to be a long couple days for the crews. Also i know that someone from this ranger district has been to see the one at USA every day. I have not checked on anyone today.

Greybeard, there seemed to be a mechanical failure from the reports i have heard. News reported that 2 folks heard the engine sputtering as it flew over their house.

Latest posts