steers

Help Support CattleToday:

alftn

Reaction score
Well tuesday was one of them days..Had two B.Angus aimed to butcher in Nov. but for many reason it did not work out, yesterday they were off to the killer.. they were on the other farm about 40 miles from my house, told partner not to feed monday so they would come up...I got there about 9.45, got some corn and went to the pen, there was still corn in trough from the night before plus a little left from a fresh bale of ber. needless to say i was up set ( after 2 hour of messing with them I went to the other farm to do some chores), going back at 4 to try again...Well I was worried about rain more than anything..I took my wife camera was going to take so picture for yall, these were some of the prettiest steer I have ever raised, look like they were ready for the show ring. Well the second try they walked right into the corral to the corn, I back the trailer up and low and behold they walked right into the trailer ,no problem..Well we had a lot of rain as of late so next had to get the tractor to pull truck and trailer 300 yards to the hard top. Well that went easy enough , but it has started to rain about 6 o'clock ( I got trailer light no problem) . B.S. with my buddy awhile and call wife to tell her all is well, She was working in Memphis . Do not wait honey get on the road weather is bad here and is headed your way, so as always I jumped and ran,thinking the whole time may I should wait for the storm to pass ( got 45 miles to thew slaughter house) .Well I was headed into Jackson Tn. about 6.30 Raining hard so I thought to call my Nephew to ride along, hole the flash light while I unload, keep me company..Well he is a freshman at Union Univ. at Jackson Tn., said he was not doing anything would be glad to ride along..(He Is a good boy and has help me do a lot of fencing in the last six weeks) I had him meet me about three miles north on 45 bypass in order to avoid the traffic around the school.. Well he was waiting (2 min.) when I arrived, got him in the truck as the sirens were going off. Stop at the B.P. to get coke and cake (missed supper) I said hell boy less get on down the road before the tornado get use. The rain was intense and it started to hail( egg size,no lie) as we headed out on the bypass.Two min. later his cell phone was going off,his dorm buddies calling to tell him his dorm was gone and see if he was Ok.

The point- -as up set as I was that morning over my plans not working out turn out to be a God sent, By now I am sure yall see the pictures,his dorm was pretty hard hit,and his new truck was parked in the same lot as the black ford that was on top of the dumpster. It was nice to have him ride along with me, but as it turned out his truck was no harmed in any manner and he was not either..(Thank you Lord) ..But he was /is sorry he did not get to see it...O well maybe next time I told him...He saies he hopes there is not a next time...

Sorry I ran on so, sorry more about no pic, them steers were beautiful

Kinda puts things in perspective, don't it? I am glad your and your nephew are OK. Being from Texas, I have been through a couple of tornados myself. It is definitely not something you would want to do every day.

Thank you for sharing that. I plan to read your story to myy SS class this week.
It may be the best lesson i read all week on this board.

Jacksonsun.com has many pic if u r wanting to see

Those kids were lucky, as well as your nephew. I read the story on the website you posted. It's almost like you said that things didn't go quite as planned that day, but the outcome was so much greater. God bless you.

Latest posts