Steer ready

Help Support CattleToday:

Heifer381

Reaction score
I have an angus steer almost a year old and he weighs almost eleven hundred pounds I weighed him, he looks real good, has been on full feed since he was born. What poundage do I want to sell a short framed steer.

My first thought is you should have sold him long ago and not wasted money on full feed. At this point I believe I would go ahead and eat him.

What do angus steers finish out at, and why do you say I wasted my money eleven hundred pounds at eleven months I'd say that's pretty good gain.

I think what he means is, you could have been growing frame fairly cheap this first 11 months. Then feed him a finishing ration.

If I would have done that then I would not have him fed out near as fast as full feed.

I was just commenting on the expense of getting him to that weight to sell. I don't think you'll ever get your money back by selling him unless you have someone willing to buy at hanging weight. Much less expensive ways to get there and put more dollars in your pocket.

My 3/4 angus steers will be anywhwere between 1325 and 1450 depending on the individual. But they are 16-18 months old.

We'll I know I going to sell him never anywhere did I say I wanted to eat him, and for weighing him I took my truck and trailer and weighed it and loaded the steer up and weighed it and see what it weighed.

Heifer381":2h1eicpc said:
We'll I know I going to sell him never anywhere did I say I wanted to eat him, and for weighing him I took my truck and trailer and weighed it and loaded the steer up and weighed it and see what it weighed.

Heifer can you post a picture so we can see his condition. Depending on his frame he "may" be alread overfinished. Is he carrying a lot of Cod fat and does he have pronounced pones(the big balls of fat on either side of his tailhead)

Here he is. Looks like he's pretty much ready to go! I sure don't think he is overconditioned

Latest posts