Jersey steer growth rate

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to contract growout some jersey steers. I personally haven't done this before and I am uncertain that it could be profitable in the 6 month window they provide. Does anyone know what a 6 month jersey steer would weigh approximately, or has anyone done this before? They will be started as bottle calves so that is where the question comes in as to being profitable possibly or not at all. Thanks for the consideration. And yes I did search before posting lol

Triple 13 Livestock said:
I have an opportunity to contract growout some jersey steers. I personally haven't done this before and I am uncertain that it could be profitable in the 6 month window they provide. Does anyone know what a 6 month jersey steer would weigh approximately, or has anyone done this before? They will be started as bottle calves so that is where the question comes in as to being profitable possibly or not at all. Thanks for the consideration. And yes I did search before posting lol

Feeding Jersey steers for profit doesn't seem real likely. A bottle raised Jersey would be hard pressed to weigh 200 at 6 months old and by a year old 500 might be wishful thinking. I guess it would depend on the quality of the calves and quality of the management in raising them, but even under the best circumstances they are slow growing and takes a lot of feed to get what gain they will do out of them.
Maybe if someone had a market for the finished beef they could make a little on them.

Ky hills said:
Triple 13 Livestock said:

Feeding Jersey steers for profit doesn't seem real likely. A bottle raised Jersey would be hard pressed to weigh 200 at 6 months old and by a year old 500 might be wishful thinking. I guess it would depend on the quality of the calves and quality of the management in raising them, but even under the best circumstances they are slow growing and takes a lot of feed to get what gain they will do out of them.
Maybe if someone had a market for the finished beef they could make a little on them.

That's what I was afraid of. I already bottle feed so it wouldn't be too much extra except I would have to buy the calves and all of the supplies.

Stocker Steve said:
The way you make money on Jersey beef is to buy a finished one and then haul it to the locker plant for pre sold quarters.

Yep. Free Jersey calves aren't cheap enough.

Stocker Steve said:
The way you make money on Jersey beef is to buy a finished one and then haul it to the locker plant for pre sold quarters.

I know I wont make a killing on it but if I can make some extra doing what I am already doing by only adding an extra 30 mins a day I will do that. that's why I was asking about size at 6 months.

The first Jersey steers we started with we're 1,000 lbs at 14 months. It can be done but you're gonna need some low cost inputs to make it profitable. Do you have a TMR mixer? Access to silage? DDG or wet brewers grain?

BigBear56 said:
The first Jersey steers we started with we're 1,000 lbs at 14 months. It can be done but you're gonna need some low cost inputs to make it profitable. Do you have a TMR mixer? Access to silage? DDG or wet brewers grain?

no I do not have any of that. its one of those things that "we are already doing it so what's adding a few more" with a guaranteed buy back at 6 months

Latest posts