Steer Prospect

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Going Saturday to look at this steer, what you guys think of him?

CALF-2007-136-(7).jpg

Looks ok, he has no hair, has a short head, is long bodied, long necked, looks pretty correct on his feet and legs.

I think he has enough length to work through it. Also depends on how much they want for him :D

Jeanne - Simme Valley":7sbxnt7c said:
Looks awesome - although, be sure to check out his temperament. He sure looks "ready to fly". Wish I could get our cattle to stand like that for pics!!!!

Pretty easy to make them stand when they are on the end of a halter.

First of all he is the wrong color. :D I think you know what I mean.

For some reason his neck appears to be out of proportion to the rest of his body. I do like his length and hind quarters.

I don't think he is halter broke, so the guy taking the picture just got lucky. I always get impatient and never can get them standing good for photo's

Jovid I know what you mean on the color :lol:

I am not sure of his pedigree, he is listed at a Private Treaty sale I am going to this weekend, he is just one that stood out to me in their advertisement. He is a February, with us having a July fair I prefer the Jan, Feb or early march calves. Many time the sales are more full of Late March-April calves.

I will probably get down there and find a total different one I like though.

Only thing that worries me from the pic is the Hair and neck.

My first thought was that he looks a little bully or crest-y in the neck also, but he's also standing so much at attention that may be the reason. I've seen them arch their necks like that when they're fixin' to take off.

He's deep bodied and really zipper fronted. Let us know if you like him in person!

From the picture, he looks pretty good. Like to see his butt. No hair unless they clipped him. Good luck at getting him.

Jovid":1jepfxwo said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1jepfxwo said:
Looks awesome - although, be sure to check out his temperament. He sure looks "ready to fly". Wish I could get our cattle to stand like that for pics!!!!

Pretty easy to make them stand when they are on the end of a halter.
I agree it's easier to get them set up properly, but to get that head up & reaching forward isn't so easy. If you can get them in that pose without a halter, they look much better.

aplusmnt":1dkx5l8a said:
I don't think he is halter broke, so the guy taking the picture just got lucky. I always get impatient and never can get them standing good for photo's

I am not sure of his pedigree, he is listed at a Private Treaty sale I am going to this weekend, he is just one that stood out to me in their advertisement. He is a February, with us having a July fair I prefer the Jan, Feb or early march calves. Many time the sales are more full of Late March-April calves.

Who is having the sale?

I like him. He looks correct on his feet. Maybe has a bullish neck but the length of it should be able to fix that. The only thing that would worry me is him not being able to grow a lot of hair and keeping that brown tint if he did grow a lot of hair. He doesn't look like he is very thick over his top. His bone and muscle is good.

Tops I would pay for him would be $1,400-1,600.

Jovid":3va5fls0 said:
aplusmnt":3va5fls0 said:

Who is having the sale?

Glen Oak Farms over by Joplin MO.

Well I bought him. I think he will grow out of the neck and it really was not as bad looking in person. He was cut a little late.

But buying him was not a pleasant event. Turns out my posting his picture on here, got me a private message.

Have they anymore? He is interesting looking.

I told this board member all about the sale, gave them directions and even called them on Cellphone to make sure they found the place.

What did they do? They bid against me on the steer. I told them I was going to go with him and in the end it was a two way bid between me and them. Posting the picture on here and then helping a board member make it to the sale, cost me around $600-$800 dollars depending exactly when a third bidder got out early.

I know this was a public sale, but in my books a little integrity would have kept a person from bidding on the steer of the person that hooked them up with the sale. When the sent me a PM asking if there was ANYMORE I felt that implied they would not come down and try to backdoor me.

I gave more for the steer than I would have normally especially considering there was another 35 steers to of similiar quality going for half the price. But it would have took at least $5,000.00 before I would have let them have the steer. They had no chance of getting him, all they did was cost me money.

I have been burned one to many times. I am tired of trying to figure out who are the quality people and who are the worthless ones.

Sad thing is their kid got a bad lesson in integrity today from his own parents.

Sorry for the rant. Just burns me to help people and then get stabbed in the back.

aplusmnt":3r5bu1s7 said:
I have been burned one to many times. I am tired of trying to figure out who are the quality people and who are the worthless ones.

Sad thing is their kid got a bad lesson in integrity today from his own parents.

Sorry for the rant. Just burns me to help people and then get stabbed in the back.

Can't say as I blame you. What they did was perfectly legal, but unethical in my book. I'd be PO'ed, too. Sad thing is, they probably honestly feel they did nothing wrong and will skate through life that way, teaching their kids "how it's done" along the way.

Maybe you should oust them right here for all to see so we can watch out for them. A little public humiliation might be in order. ;-)

congrats on getting him bought (even in that situation).

I think he looks good. He's got good eye appeal and that is always a plus for the show ring. If you get a chance, a picture directly from the side would be nice. I little different angle sure can give a lot more perspective of an animal.

Latest posts