Steer -- Pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

jaydill

Reaction score
Here are a few pictures of my steer when I finished breaking him. (About a week after I got him) He was from a commercial Simbrah herd about an hour away from where I live. I'll get a couple more stills from a video I've got of me showing.

With his baby hair on:
bam2.jpg

bambutt.jpg

Out on pasture:
bampasture.jpg

bamprofpasture.jpg

edit: sorry about the big pictures. they should get smaller soon...i edited them in photobucket but it sometimes take a little while for them to size down.

I like some things about him, but when it comes to cattle with Brahma in them I am totally lost. Is the leathery front end acceptable with this breed or will he be knocked for this? He looks like he has some of the structure needed, if he feeds out and does good at gaining.

looks like he will need a sweat on the dew lap Jaydill. He is fairly clean in the sheath for a Simbrah steer. I wish he had alittle more bone in him also. What was his WW & do you know his sire coming from a comm. herd. Other than that just needs feed!!!

The pics in the pasture do him more justice.
I'm sure he has more cover now, since you said you had just got him. I'm not familiar with what a judge looks for in this breed, so I can only go on my opinion.
Overall not a bad calf. A little more leather than I like. Good luck with him.

Yes, unfortunately the dew lap is going to be a negative. He also is fine boned, and needs more thickness on top.

aplusmnt":luwj7f32 said:
I like some things about him, but when it comes to cattle with Brahma in them I am totally lost. Is the leathery front end acceptable with this breed or will he be knocked for this? He looks like he has some of the structure needed, if he feeds out and does good at gaining.

You just eliminate in your mind the extra leather from dew lap to brisket, and at the navel, not the sheath (that's another issue). He has plenty of extension in his neck, plus it looks good and thick. Your steer is real smooth in his shoulder, deep enough through the body, straight in his top, wide enough at his loin, and pretty square at his rump. Plenty of muscle to see already. I don't see that he is too light in his bone, just no hair on those legs. In the first pic. he looks too tall, but in the pasture pictures, he looks to be just about right to finish firm, not flabby. One picture just misses him tracking by a split second, but he certainly looks to be very free on the move. The second pic. shows him to be a little knock kneed on his front legs. Overall, a very nice prospect.

This was the calf I showed last year. Sold him at Houston.

We just couldn't get him to eat the feed and put the finish on him that we needed. We did buy a sweat to put on him but we ended up never using it and I also ended up never getting docked for it. I think cause once we got the show halter on, it pulled some of that dewlap back and made it look a little cleaner. Of course, showing with other Simbrahs, it wasn't so much of a problem.

Maw, He weaned about 600lbs, no creep and when I sold he weighed 1381 I believe it was. He was a big boy...just didn't finish enough. If I'd had him on feed a couple more months he'd probably have done better.

aplusmnt":2eumsvwb said:
As far as the dewlap, anything with Brahma in it will exhibit that. So the leather is acceptable, you just want it to tie in a little more neatly than his does.

JDI":2eumsvwb said:
looks like he will need a sweat on the dew lap Jaydill. He is fairly clean in the sheath for a Simbrah steer. I wish he had alittle more bone in him also. What was his WW & do you know his sire coming from a comm. herd. Other than that just needs feed!!!
Well...his sire was that bull over there and his dam was that cow over there. Lol. He's from a commercial Simbrah herd. Only paid $800 for him. :lol: I've got a picture of his dam I'll put up later on.

warpaint":2eumsvwb said:
The pics in the pasture do him more justice.
I agree. I like em a lot better. The other two were taken on a slightly downhill slope at the wash rack by my father who knows nothing more about cattle than how to tell a bull from a cow. :lol:

Thanks for all the posts! I personally think he'd have made a better bull than steer. What do y'all think? He tracked real nice and had a great disposition. Was calm from day one. Was a little skittish around strangers crossin behind him but I broke him outta that real quick too. All in all, I know I didn't make any of the sales but I learned a lot from it and that's what I'll always remember. :)

Jaydill..........if this an average simbrah specimen, with all the extra leather. I can better understand you guys thread about the Simbrah cheater that used a Simmental Heifer. And why it bothered you guys. Had never really saw a Simbrah before. But it would be hard to beat a clean fronted Simmental with a true Simbrah.

aplusmnt":i8wovips said:
Jaydill..........if this an average simbrah specimen, with all the extra leather. I can better understand you guys thread about the Simbrah cheater that used a Simmental Heifer. And why it bothered you guys. Had never really saw a Simbrah before. But it would be hard to beat a clean fronted Simmental with a true Simbrah.
Yep, that was exactly our point. This is a pretty average Simbrah specimen. Here's a picture of his dam. She's moving so it's kinda hard to judge her but as you can see, the leather is a trademark of the Simbrah breed.

dam.jpg

i kept reading about the dewlap before the pictures showed up and i was like yada yada yada, here we go again and then the pictures showed up and i was like WHATTHECRAP!? even i would call that excessive dewlap.

Jay, looks like the moma might have been a 1/2 blood cow from the pic.. might explain the excessive dewlap...if you can find a calf that is out of a clean 3/4 blood Simbrah who's sire was PB but still clean you can usally rid yourself of quite a bit of the dew lap & extra leather & still have a PB...I sell reg.calves all the time from my reg. stock for 800.00 steers[to the kids.) I attached a pic of a calf I sold (bull calf at weaning) that is out of a 3/4 fleck cow but bred to a PB.Simbrah bull. You can see the difference in the leather...
texasfleck.jpg
ket

Beefy":2hr7uwq5 said:
i kept reading about the dewlap before the pictures showed up and i was like yada yada yada, here we go again and then the pictures showed up and i was like WHATTHECRAP!? even i would call that excessive dewlap.
mosi ingenius observation

I do like the looks of him and I can see how he's cleaner fronted. Did you run him Simbrah? He doesn't seem to have that much sheath on him. I think it'd be running the risk of not classifying at some of our majors cause it does have such a clean neck and I can't see the sheath. We did think the dewlap would cause a problem but never had a judge say anything about it not once, so we ended up just leaving it and not sweating it off. Do you sell heifer calves bred like that steer also?

cowboy13":2tkbg5vx said:
Jay, who is that blowin' that steer? :shock: :heart: ;-)
:lol: :oops:

aplusmnt":2tkbg5vx said:
Cowboy, I think you are to young aren't you? ;-) Jay you are in college aren't you? :D
Almost, lol.

Unfortunately, I don't. I think the last picture I've got of him is from a couple months ago. I forgot to bring my digital camera to Houston and lost my disposable one while I was there.

Latest posts