Steer down

Help Support CattleToday:

lifeofleisure

Reaction score
I have had a steer down since Sunday. I am in the reserves and have been gone for two weeks training. I have a 16 yo boy who's father runs about 300 heard looking after my 60 head. Steer is 5-600 lb steer. Wife called VaTech vet school and gave symptoms and they suggested penniicillin and b vitamin. She has given 4 doses per his recommendation.

Symptoms - as I understand - can't stand, seems to seizure and collapse when it does. Eats commodity feed when offered, drinks when offered, cries at times. Herd has been on pasture and round bale feeders with some commodity feed fed as well. Field he was is was cutover 7-9 years ago and we have slowly been turning into a field as stumps are removed. I bushhogged it a month ago. This steer has been ignoring barbwire fences and the electric fence. No visible cuts or injury.
Does seem to have some warts on his chest.

She segregated rest of herd. Concerned for rabies as someone down road 5 miles or so had a rabid bobcat and had to treat 17 or or so head. She doesnt think he is exibiting rabid signs. Tetanus?

I am returning home as scheduled today and arrive late afternoon.

Any wisdom for you guys would be appreciated. She and daughter have taken precautions for rabies.

Thanks

Won't eat if has rabies or drink, hard to tell on an internet board time for a good large animal vet.
My Grandpa lost a bunch to rabies, had them pened overnight and a rabid fox got in the lot, I remember him saying he had to shoot and burn 17 cow's.

Well before I got home wife texted me a picture of steer. He was up and running around noon. She went to give him a shot and he was gone from spot he had been staying at. When he saw her with bucket he came running. Stopped when he saw syringe in bucket. He is limping on back foot. Joint looks stiff but seems in good shape. No indicators of rabies that I see. Dark when I got to him, and black cattle are hard to see. Will take a better look see in morning. Still eating and drinking. Browsing grass when she was leaving him. Still by himself and content to stay there.

Maybe he ate something? Maybe stepped in one of those confounded earth pig holes? Both?

Seems like every year I when I have to go to reserves for two weeks something happens. Helpless feeling when you ain't there.

Your dilema made me realize there are probably reservists in this area who could use a helping hand when they are away. Now i have finally found a cause worth volunteering for. I get real tired of the so called mission trips for people who are to lazy to get off of their thinking cushions.