Starting my herd, opinions

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks for the comments everyone. Yes, if you'll read what I wrote, I won't be going to the sale barn. You will never find me buying, or selling, anything at any sale barn. I'll leave that to you fine folks.

lead_dog":1hlv2q2n said:
I'm in Georgia, but the only way I can start this breed (it appears) is to go to Oklahoma or Ohio. No one breeds them down here.

Nice looking cattle, but have you found out why no one breeds them in your area? How do they do with heat and humidity? Is it a the right environment for your chosen breed?

In our area, $2500 is a bit high right now, but again area and time of year have a lot to do with it. In the PNW we are approaching fall, grass is basicaly gone, hay is in the barn and winter is around the corner. Time to dump anything that you don't want to feed over the winter. I just listed a reg. 3 in 1 with a heifer calf for $1200 (Polled Hereford). But she is a cull and has never produced a good calf. She will sell as a cull and anyone looking at her will be told she is at the top of my cull list and for what reasons. I too want a good rep. If she does not sell she goes to the auction yard as a 3 in 1.

Good luck,
Alan

bigbull338":2ttx6tzb said:
nortexsoook":2ttx6tzb said:
Just saw this thread. $2500 are you kidding me? You'll never make a profit. You admitted you are new. You know very little about the cattle business. Start commercial with some cheap cows. See if you like it and have an aptitude for ranching/farming. If not, you won't take such a big hickey. Nobody is going to buy registered stock from a newby 3-4 cow operation, and you'll never make any money selling those calve at the local barn.

I bet the folks selling you these cows were just licking their chops the day you showed up at the gate!!! LOL!!!
man i wish i could get some of those cheap cows your talking bout.good comm cows here will cost you $1100 or more.depending on if calf at side or bred.reg cows will run $1500 to $2000.bred reg heifers $2000.small breeders have top quality cattle to.sometimes better than the big outfits.

I am with you bigbull.. . not too many "cheap" cows around here either. I believe its almost the same as "you get what you pay for" in this business. As long as its from a reputable breeder, and you are happy with the deal.

Nice looking cattle. On the third pic, the bull calf, I have a heifer that looks exactly like that calf right down to exact shade of color. My wife is amazed. She likes that one and insists on us keeping it.

if your just getting started in raising cattle ,and grass fed at that why do you want a registered animal ,the crosses will out do any purebred on grass ,and for sure here in the south.

salemhigh":2wiw5fhp said:
if your just getting started in raising cattle ,and grass fed at that why do you want a registered animal ,the crosses will out do any purebred on grass ,and for sure here in the south.

What? First of all, please explain "out do".

Second, If that's a challenge on which will gain better on grass, set up the time, place, and date and I will bring some for a test.

lead dog:
They are indeed fine looking cattle and I don't think the price is out of line at all.
For those who have questioned the idea of buying something that's not common in your area....
I started with MG cattle 7 years ago...they were almost non-existant in WI-well, I am happy to report I can't begin to keep up with the demand I have for people looking for MG cattle to use for grass based operations. I could easily sell twice the nubmer of calves I produce at this point.
Besides...what's wrong with being the "leader of the pack" instead of a "follower"??!?!? ;-)

Hi everyone. Just to let you know, I not only bought some of those, but bought 12 in total. The fact that no one in Georgia raises MG is a plus to me, not a negative. What I'm doing is quite different than the model of buying at sale barn, fattening and shipping off for processing. That's a model that I don't understand well, and I wouldn't expect everyone else to understand the model we have in place.

We're very excited about establishing a great Murray Grey breed in Georgia. They are terrific animals, and our customers will love them. More importantly, we do.

Good luck. Be sure to include an aggressive advertising plan.

You know what happens when you don't advertise?????

Nothing................

Mike if purebreds gained better on grass with no grain supplement then every one should raise purebreds ,but as a whole im not pick and choosing animals the crossed cow will kick out more pounds than a purebred ,ive tried purebreds of many breeds including charolais and none weaned more percent body weight than a crossbred, a few cows here or there wean a good calf but all in all a cross will out produce.

salemhigh":2tg2kic5 said:
Mike if purebreds gained better on grass with no grain supplement then every one should raise purebreds ,but as a whole im not pick and choosing animals the crossed cow will kick out more pounds than a purebred ,ive tried purebreds of many breeds including charolais and none weaned more percent body weight than a crossbred, a few cows here or there wean a good calf but all in all a cross will out produce.

I understand the theory of heterosis and am convinced of it's importance.

I see what you are saying now........................
But you said "ANY" purebred in your first statement. I have been using gain and performance as a plan for several years.

You might say that "Crossbreds" will USUALLY outperform the purebreds, but not "ANY" purebred.

I weaned & weighed a 920 lb calf yesterday that was born Jan 10 of this year. No creep. Mama only. That's a 4.10 WDA.

Will "ANY" crossbred top that?

Plus, you might not have tried the "Right" purebreds. ;-)

[usually], i have a 880 pound cross cow weaned 985 pound of calf at 7 months in a drought this year 112% her body weight all grass ,,,,,she had twins :lol:

Sounds like you are going to make some breeders day.
Personally if I was staring out in the purebred business (again) I would attend a reputation herd dispersal auction to purchase your livestock. You will be able to pick up the absolute top of the herd. Get ahold of some breed publications and also do alot of research into blood lines .You are new, and breeders love the smell of fresh meat with money to spend.

My question is, why spend time and money on a web site, when you haven't purchased a single animal? You also mention we wouldn't understand your model, are your intentions to directly market meat to the consumer? Jumping in and selling meat to the locals, could be a negative to future sales, if they get a bad experience. I've had to talk several people into giving home raised beef a second chance, after someone else pawned their ground up 15 year old herd bull on them. Not trying to pee on your parade, but stick a toe in first, to see how the water is.

Because grass-fed beef won't be the first thing we sell. Eggs, poultry and pork will be first. The first beef we process will be for our consumption, friends and family to ensure we think it's terrific. If it is, we'll go to market, and if not, we'll refine.

Latest posts