Starting a small Ranch

Help Support CattleToday:

DakotaCowboy

Reaction score
I'm looking at starting a small ranch and need some opinions. I'm graduating from college this may and will be moving back home. I have found a piece of land (150 acres), 2 miles away from my parents farm. I think I can buy it from a guy for $500 an acre. Pasture usually rents for around $40 up here, so I'm thinking of renting out 100 acres of it and keeping the other 50 acres to start a small herd. I would like to get 10 cows or so. Keep the heifers and sells the steers, to build the herd. I could get old Angus cows for around $500 and raise some calfs off them then resell them a couple of years later. I have my horse to check on the cows. I figure if I only buy 10 or so $500 cows that I could easily pay them off and not owe the bank for them. I can use my dad's skidsteer for hay in the winter, since he is only 2 miles away. I plan on keeping my day job for extra cash. I figure this plan is the only way to keep all the profit from going to the bank for interest on the loan. I would like to know what everyone else thinks.

Thanks, Dustin :cboy:

Sounds like a good plan! Start slow. Pay cash for everything (except perhaps land--usually requires 20-25% down). Renting most and putting cattle on rest makes sense. Good luck! Don't overstock your grazing land!

dustin,
sounds like a good plan. 10 cows is good to start with. And its a good idea to keep your day job.. I still got mine (well actually night job) and my cow/ calf operation is doing good for me.
Keep your expense to a minimum.. get plenty of advice, and just dont overextend yourself.

Good luck I too will be graduating in may and passing up the glitter of the DC beltway for the sweet smell of cow manure. I also will be starting on family land and from what I have been told the most has already been said above start slow, use the bank as little as possible(aka use cash) and try as much as possible to prepare your place before you get "hooves on the ground" Good luck

Chris

Just remember that horse is going to eat as much as 3-4 of your cows. We run a lot of pasture ground and never had a horse. My brother always calls them hay burners!

Be sure to figure out what your actual stocking rate is. I have heard its lower there than your are planning. You dont want to pay interest on a feed bill either.

Dustin,

Looks like a good plan to get started in your continuing education.

I am learning that not all heifers are keepers.

Best wishes.

dustin-

hope all goes great for you! my man n I just closed on 132 acres and altogether him and me we got 153 head of cattle, we rent a lot of pasture, and gonna get a house in a couple months. pretty exciting. don't get too ahead of yourself and keep your head on straight.. you'll need it. good luck!

What part of SD? It seems that the Dakota guys i've talked would have a tough time summering 10 pair on 50 acres. I've never seen the place so i don't know. Plus you can do alot to improving stocking rates.

Latest posts