Starting A New Pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

Someone asked why white over red earlier as I reread this. White (ladino) I think is better suited to the hill sides that will be grazed vice hay. I am told by my extension agent and UK has done studies to suport this that the white doesn't require as much moisture to stay vibrant long term on the hills and under grazing pressure. The red requires more water and thus it is better suited to gentle hills and flatter terrain. Red does have significantly more tonnage yield than the white varieties. It is also important in my opinion to factor into the cost estimate the savings you will get from the clover's ability to capture Nitrogen from the air and fix it into the soil. Good stands of clover inyour hay and pasture significantly reduce the need for nitrogen in your fertillizer purchases and application.

White clover is better for grazing and red clover is better for hay or silage. White is more drought tolerant.

If you have had problems in the past in feeding orchardgrass it is likely due to the variety you planted and its rust resistance. If you have a rusty variety like Potomac cattle will not eat it once disease sets in. When planting orchardgrass spend the money for a good variety like Crown Royale or Benchmark Plus. You and your cattle will be glad you did.

If you have grass growing already I suggest no tilling in fescue and a ladino. If you are going to plow it up and prepare a seedbed,plow, disc, roll, broadcast, then re roll with whatever you want. We did this on a hay field this year, plowed it up, rolled it, planted orchardgrass and red clover, then re-rolled it, and after a week it is already coming up. Gonna do another field the same way. The pastures this year got no tilled fescue and ladino. Hopefully come spring we can put some lime down on the fields that need it,a nd some fertilizer on the hay ground.

GMN

Latest posts