Starter Herd

Help Support CattleToday:

KANSAS

Reaction score
Ok... I need your expertise.

I recently purchased 200 acres of pasture ground in Northeast Kansas. Very fertile ground.

I would like to raise some cattle on this ground, but need to start up my herd.. Could anyone please advise me on breed recommendations, purchase of cattle (i.e. cross bred, registered, etc) (i.e. heifers, bred heifers, cow calf, etc)

Breed of cattle: and why......

I know I am asking alot.
Thanks for your help

I'll pretend I didn't see the word expertise!

Winters can be brutal on the plains. By long haired cattle with good body mass and moderate frame, short ears, and good udder quality (if you are buying cows and can judge the udder). You don't want pendulous udders or big teats in the real cold, (really you don't want them no matter what... ;-) especially if they are to be range cattle. Stay with unregistered commercial based cattle if you are wanting to make a dollar. Mix up black with white face, and try to keep some pigment around the eyes. Use registered bulls (ie: Herefords, Angus, Mains, etc.) Keep or buy animals with a tight calving window for late Feb to late March time frame, so they will wean before winter hits, and can be resold before prices fall off. Have plenty of pasture, and good water, throw some mineral, vacinate the herd, and cull what dosn't get the job done.

P.S. Buying bred heifers can be risky unless you know the operation and the bulls. Buy bred cows with calves on their sides, and get some profit back immeadiately.

I do not know you and you do not know me – but I think I am going to keep this on file as my standard answer to this regular question.
You mention nothing about your esperience, or your infrastructure and so on – so there is some pretty basic stuff here that you need to know – if you do not – it's a learning day. If you do – then accept my apologies for boring you.

These are animals - not pets. They are tough, ornery, eating machines that one day will run you over and the next day look at you with a calmness that you cannot believe. They are one heck of a great hobby - that is how wife and I got started in the business years ago. Love 'em, but if you spoil 'em you will end up with problems.

As for breeds - well, any beef cow that can live in Canada can live in the U.S. of A. - some may do better than others - but darned near every breed you have down south is found in Canada. I happen to like the British breeds and run HH – but that does not mean you have to stay British. If you have the right kind of ground and the right kind of feed they will ALL do well.

Just remember this little tidbit ... and this is important - you probably do not have experience in breeding, calving and doctoring. Not a slur, just a fact - so find something that will not crush you when something goes wrong - and believe me, it sooner or later will.

Nearly all breeds do well - especially if they can be contained, sheltered, fed and watered. That's it in a nutshell. The rest is easy.

We all have our favourites - but who cares if you have a patchwork quilt of animals in the field - if they are solid, quiet animals with calves at side - well, be happy.

Go cheap. Go with pairs. Instant moms that are bred back. Go with quiet. Do not ask what breed – at this stage you had better not care - it is not important, walk in amongst them before you buy - if they are gone like deer - then forget them. If they jump, fight or run you - run for your truck. If they load hard - run for your truck and leave. If they are not vet checked and preg checked - with you present - run for your truck and put your money away for another day. Split the call out fee – you pay vet bills for the ones you take – vendor pays for the ones you do not.
Go with mature to prevent calving probs and mothers who disown or kill their calves with starvation - not common, but it does happen. Go private - not sale barn - do not buy someone elses trouble – unless it is a TOTAL herd dispersal – and these can be real good sales to go to. Tell the owner you WILL be back if there are problems that may have been hidden. Get all their records - herd health, vaccinations, dates of birth, and so on. If those records are not available - run for your truck.

Look up my thread - Ding! Dong! Brindles Dead - and avoid any brindles like crazy - no matter what the breed. Perhaps I am just superstitious?

Find an old hand in your area - have him go with you and look at least 5 different outfits before you make up your mind - that way you have an idea of what you are up against. Bargain hard - know your price before you leave your own driveway and stick to it. Don't deviate - there are lots of really good animals out there for sale.

Have a good fence, SOLID FENCE IS BEST, some feed and water available when they show up at home - even quiet animals can become tornadoes for a day or two. If your penning area is small and poorly fenced, plan on searching for them for a couple of days before they settle in.

Others who back me – and I quickly found two – both know their stuff:

Craig-Tx wrote:
But if you're wanting a few cows that will pay their own way why not buy cheap pairs. Then you know she can calve. Buy young momma cows that look somewhat poor but sound. Or buy 6-8 year old sound cows with light calves at their sides. You will get a pair for $hundreds less than a fancy cow will cost and you'll be amazed at what she will look like next year if you've put her on good grass and taken care of her thru the winter. She might not be anything to brag about but you'll be in the money on her next calf. The same principle, with a little more risk, can be applied to young bred cows. And same for bulls.

Old Timer wrote:

Craig- I agree with you-- If you just want to run a few cows the best money is in buying a few older bred cows--many places cull them when they lose 1 tooth (sometimes only 4-5 years old) or hit 10 years of age-- Sell for $350- 500 as brokenmouths - Some of these cows have several years left in them if you have good pasture-- I've bought them over the years just to put on one good pasture I have and probably made more off them than some of the ones I raised-- Altho this year those same cows that were selling for $400 are now selling for $800-900..... Might just have to run some of the old girls one more year on that pasture.

So, it looks like there are three of us in the same boat. Start slow and build. You have enough ground, but do you have enough experience and time to handle more than 10 – 15? A good number for a beginner with your ground available. Sell the excess hay for the first couple of years. Do not sell it until January – by then you'll know what you need for the remainder of the year.

If you plan to sell them - make sure that you are selling into an accepting crowd. As an example - if the area you are in loves that black hide, you will suffer with a dollar penalty by trying to sell red. In my area black AND red are guaranteed to sell 10 - 20 cents a pound less than a TAN colour. Go figure - if you take the clothes off of them 99% of producers could not tell you what breed they were. Do your homework. If you want to go "exotic" fine – be darned sure they are quiet and you can handle them.

Far as I am concerned - solid animal is good - but cheaper is better.

Calves all sell - you just want good 'uns. Healthy and lively.

Get all your fences in order FIRST!

Probably missed a few things – but you get the idea.

Go for it - have fun and welcome to an interesting life - that of a cattleman!

Regards

Bez

just pick a breed you like, then cross it with something else. takes a long time & a great knowledge of cattle & marketing to do the purebred thing

Perhaps you would be interested in some bred charolais cross cattle conveniently located in the great state of Kansas...
Charolais Angus cross is a pretty good cross, wouldnt you agree Jake?

Beefy":2v2plc2b said:
Perhaps you would be interested in some bred charolais cross cattle conveniently located in the great state of Kansas...
Charolais Angus cross is a pretty good cross, wouldnt you agree Jake?

already ahead of ya Beefy....