starter grain

Help Support CattleToday:

lexi's gram

Reaction score
My baby calf is 3 weeks old, I feed her milk replacer, one botttle about 7:30 a.m. another at 5:30 p.m. then a bottle of water at 9:30 p.m. I also leave out fresh water all the time. My calf is doing great no scours or anything, but heres my problem I read that I should start her on grain, I have tried to let her eat out of my hand, I leave some in a bucket , but she's not eating it what should I do, please reply thank you

Some calves take to solid food quicker than others. keep giving her the milk replacer and make the feed available 24-7 and she will get the taste for it. Try a small bit of feed with some molasses in it. When she gets a sweet tooth she will start eatin. Just be sparing with it till she is used to it. Sweet feeds will put weight (fat) on her way too fast if youre not careful.

Good luck...........george

Rahter then letting her eat it out of your hand, if you actaully push some into he mouth when she finishes her bottle sometimes helps.

dun

i agree with dun, the old man always put some grain in their mouth after drinking their milk. raise a lot of calves on dairy & i wondered why the bottle of water at night if he has fresh water in front of him anyway. oh well whatever works for you. good luck :lol:

I give a botttle of water at night because it does'nt seem like she's drinking any of the water from the bucket. I read she has to have quite a bit of water to develop her rumen, so I thought the bottle might help, who know's it may not help her at all. Thanks to all your reply's it has truly helped. And George she did love the molasses, actually got a little grain in her this a.m., I will try again this p.m..

lexi's gram":34e2x7j0 said:
I give a botttle of water at night because it does'nt seem like she's drinking any of the water from the bucket. I read she has to have quite a bit of water to develop her rumen, so I thought the bottle might help, who know's it may not help her at all. Thanks to all your reply's it has truly helped. And George she did love the molasses, actually got a little grain in her this a.m., I will try again this p.m..

You're not going to get much rumen development without something for it to work on, i.e. grain for starters

dun

The way I've always done it with bottle calves is to switch them to drinking out of a bucket. (I've used old WWII army helmets with a handle welded on for the calves.) After they've finished drinking their milk, you put a handful of grain in the bucket. They're already looking in the bottom of the bucket for more milk, so they end up tasting the grain. Usually doesn't take more than a few days before they're cleaning up all the grain you give them and looking for more.

lexi's gram":2qzun2n4 said:
And George she did love the molasses, actually got a little grain in her this a.m., I will try again this p.m..

I knew that would get her interest ;-) .........george

Latest posts