Stallions

Help Support CattleToday:

Miss Daisy

Reaction score
Has anyone broken a stallion to ride? Theres a four year old stud that i just would love to turn into a rinding horse. What are some of your experiences?

Miss Daisy":2onajyua said:
Has anyone broken a stallion to ride? Theres a four year old stud that i just would love to turn into a rinding horse. What are some of your experiences?

I have broke many stallions to ride. I just use the same principles for training as I do for any other horse however you just realize that the stallions motives are breeding first and so there is a greater element of danger involved and steps need to be taken to greatly separate the stallion distance wise from other horses. The stallions attention span is much shorter at first and can easily be distracted by other horses which can end up ending a days training session. Eventually you can get them so you can show them and ride them in crowds around other horses and so forth. Conventional wisdom would be that if you don't have to do it and have another choice then don't trian and ride one if you don't have to, in most cases it is just not conveinient, I do it for other people and get paid for it, I would not want to train a stallion for riding for myself unless I was going to show it and needed to get some credentials and equity out of it.

Is there a real reason to keep the horse a stallion? Geldings are real nice,and 4 isn't too old to geld..

peg4x4":3cte1ica said:
Is there a real reason to keep the horse a stallion? Geldings are real nice,and 4 isn't too old to geld..

Bingo!, why use a stud for a riding horse? geldings are the best to ride, no head problems due to chemical releases. 4 is a good age to geld. I turned down many a trail ride because someone was bring their stud to train on trails... not on my time. And if you plan to use a stud for a trail horse you'll find yourself lossing riding buddies.

Alan

The stallion that is well trained is not anymore problem than a mare in heat. I agree that a stallion is not my horse of choice in a trail ride but as long as the rider is competent and the horse trained to behave usually there is not a problem. Where I have most problems when trail riding my stallion is watching the other horses. A stallion is not a well liked animal. Also no matter how docile the stallion seems........never forget he's a stallion!! I like using my stallion for more than just breeding purposes, he's got a great ride and looks good.

peg4x4":3fgx3s2d said:

I have to agree here. Also if your not experienced with stallions, I wouldn't bother. Some people think it's cool to ride a stallion, but they don't realize the problems they could have without the experience.

Alan":2es946al said:
peg4x4":2es946al said:

Bingo!, why use a stud for a riding horse? geldings are the best to ride, no head problems due to chemical releases. 4 is a good age to geld. I turned down many a trail ride because someone was bring their stud to train on trails... not on my time. And if you plan to use a stud for a trail horse you'll find yourself lossing riding buddies.

Alan

Yup could not agree more!

Can't geld him. He's my breeding stud. I just don't like having a horse on the place that you can't go for a ride on. Even the broodmares are all broke. Maybe it was a bad idea. Just thought it would be nice, and a great accomplishment

Miss Daisy":1ob9f9ma said:
Can't geld him. He's my breeding stud. I just don't like having a horse on the place that you can't go for a ride on. Even the broodmares are all broke. Maybe it was a bad idea. Just thought it would be nice, and a great accomplishment

No reason not to start your stallion to ride, they just take a lot more attentiont to ride and they are not usally fun around other horses.

Alan

Alan":laqk34ov said:
Miss Daisy":laqk34ov said:

No reason not to start your stallion to ride, they just take a lot more attentiont to ride and they are not usally fun around other horses.

Alan
a stallion is not what you want for a relaxing Sunday ride! If you can keep your mind on the horse AT ALL TIMES,then go ahead,but their mind is not on doing what you say,it's on that smell in the breeze you can't pick up,or that inaudible(to you )whicker from that cute of a filly a mile away! To me,not worth the risk..

Miss Daisy":21one6z5 said:

I think a lot of it has to do with his handling early on. Was he taught the difference between work and "play"? The sooner that this stallion instinct is controlled with proper training the less issues you'll have out of them.

I broke a 2yo stallion by High Brow Hickory this year and he's the most obnoxious and mouthy sucker on the ground. We purchased him in November of his yearling year and broke him in March. He was just plain spoiled when we got him. He still will bite the living snot out of you if you aren't watching. He's been popped, poked, swatted, pinched, and barely short of having the **** beat out of him and he will still bite. He thinks his name is "aahhnnk" or "no". lol One good thing is that he doesn't talk to the ladies. He never knew what they were for, and didn't learn what they were for until a few months ago when we bred an older broodmare.

Then he had other ideas.... *sigh*
One way we've tried to distinguish work from breeding is the type of halter we put on him. We use ONE black shipping type halter when we breed the stallions. If anything else is on their head and they even so much nicker at another horse they get repremanded.

However, riding this colt is completely different. He was very easy to break, no buck, no balk. The only thing I didn't like about him was he was very stiff and hard to loosen up. Sometimes if there was another "new" horse in the arena with him he wanted to pay more attention to them, but soon he learned it didn't do any good. He's been ridden in the same pen as mares and he's quickly learned he's not allowed to speak.

If you establish this at an early age then you'll have a well mannered stallion in the future. Just hope that this 4yo stallion has already had those manners established otherwise it may be a more difficult transition to riding safely in groups.

well, this stud isnt anything mean. he has never offered to bite or kick me. a little standoffish, but i think that can be worked out. he is well mannered and handles well. thanks for all the input so far

Break your stud to ride, he will be alot happier and easier to get along with.

I think this thread has turned into two questions:

1. Can you train a stud to ride?

Yes without a doubt.

2. can an average rider ride a stud in a crowd or on trails?

no, not very often... can get dangerous for all involved.

Alan

Miss Daisy":vms37wtf said:

Yes, it would be a great accomplishment - but at what cost to you? Forgive me if I screw this up but, based on your posts, you're 16? 18? Are you sure you're ready to, and capable of taking a stud on? Studs do not operate like geldings and mares do, they can and will get a whole lot nastier if given the opportunity. Are you sure you're up to this? There is no room for "I think so" with a stud - screw up and you've got a renegade on your hands that can and will destroy property, corrals, pens, injure (or worse) people, other horses, and be a general pain in the ass on all fronts. I would think about this long and hard if I were you. Just my thoughts.

msscamp":2wnd4pqj said:
Miss Daisy":2wnd4pqj said:

Yes, it would be a great accomplishment - but at what cost to you? Forgive me if I screw this up but, based on your posts, you're 16? 18? Are you sure you're ready to, and capable of taking a stud on? Studs do not operate like geldings and mares do, they can and will get a whole lot nastier if given the opportunity. Are you sure you're up to this? There is no room for "I think so" with a stud - screw up and you've got a renegade on your hands that can and will destroy property, corrals, pens, injure (or worse) people, other horses, and be a general pain in the ass on all fronts. I would think about this long and hard if I were you. Just my thoughts.

yes, 16. i have a passion for horses and expand my knowledge. i have done complete groundwork with several geldings and mares. although its very different with a stud, i want to try it. i am not ready to break him to ride, but i will start with the basics (lunging, moving from pressure, grooming) thanks for all the help guys

Ok,long ago,when I was a kid,guy we knew had a stud colt that was just horrible--would bite the mares,just getting out of hand,and only about 2..Anyhow,they turned him out in a pen of older mares..said he went in there biting and kicking,so the mares put him in a corner and took turns kicking him for about 2 hours...they said he was really meek and mild with the mares from then on....

peg4x4":3or8rrhq said:
Ok,long ago,when I was a kid,guy we knew had a stud colt that was just horrible--would bite the mares,just getting out of hand,and only about 2..Anyhow,they turned him out in a pen of older mares..said he went in there biting and kicking,so the mares put him in a corner and took turns kicking him for about 2 hours...they said he was really meek and mild with the mares from then on....
I've heard of that too. Take a young nasty stallion and turn him out w/ a bunch of bred broodmares and he'll get manners really quick. :eek:

However, I wouldn't reccommend doing this with an older stallion because he can likely do as much damage to the mares with his aggression. :shock:

Latest posts