Stallions

Help Support CattleToday:

IHeartCows":c79lk3l8 said:
peg4x4":c79lk3l8 said:
Ok,long ago,when I was a kid,guy we knew had a stud colt that was just horrible--would bite the mares,just getting out of hand,and only about 2..Anyhow,they turned him out in a pen of older mares..said he went in there biting and kicking,so the mares put him in a corner and took turns kicking him for about 2 hours...they said he was really meek and mild with the mares from then on....
I've heard of that too. Take a young nasty stallion and turn him out w/ a bunch of bred broodmares and he'll get manners really quick. :eek:

However, I wouldn't reccommend doing this with an older stallion because he can likely do as much damage to the mares with his aggression. :shock:

It is a great way to teach a young stud horse manners, but doesn't work with people (manners for the stud) and for older studs. I tried it with my two yr old stud that I later cut... and is still a jerk.

Alan

Alan

Miss Daisy":2tit7b2m said:
msscamp":2tit7b2m said:
Miss Daisy":2tit7b2m said:
Can't geld him. He's my breeding stud. I just don't like having a horse on the place that you can't go for a ride on. Even the broodmares are all broke. Maybe it was a bad idea. Just thought it would be nice, and a great accomplishment

Yes, it would be a great accomplishment - but at what cost to you? Forgive me if I screw this up but, based on your posts, you're 16? 18? Are you sure you're ready to, and capable of taking a stud on? Studs do not operate like geldings and mares do, they can and will get a whole lot nastier if given the opportunity. Are you sure you're up to this? There is no room for "I think so" with a stud - screw up and you've got a renegade on your hands that can and will destroy property, corrals, pens, injure (or worse) people, other horses, and be a general pain in the ass on all fronts. I would think about this long and hard if I were you. Just my thoughts.

yes, 16. i have a passion for horses and expand my knowledge. i have done complete groundwork with several geldings and mares. although its very different with a stud, i want to try it. i am not ready to break him to ride, but i will start with the basics (lunging, moving from pressure, grooming) thanks for all the help guys

Ok, if your heart is set on doing this - and I can certainly understand why you want to do this - I would suggest you talk to your farrier, veterinarian, and other people you trust and see if you can find a local breeder who has experience with training/breaking/handling studs. Once you have a few names, go talk to them and see if they would be willing to answer questions, help you out with problems, provide guidance and mentor you in this endeavor, possibly even a part-time job so you can get some hands on experience with them there to watch, explain, and correct any errors you may make. I'm sure you already know about the research and reading anything you can get your hands on that relates to handling/training studs. ;-) :lol: :lol: I admire your spunk, and determination, and I wish you the best of luck, and I hope your dream becomes a safe, successful, and fulfilling reality! :)

Without seeing what you are about and what you are dealing with no one can really tell you if you can or can't do this. What I can tell you is that I have seen, first hand, experienced trainers get hurt handling stallions. A horse bite can take the muscle out of your arm. I had a friend (female) working a stallion in a round pen when he turned on her bite into her chest, picked her up and started just slinging her around. Had it not been for others getting in there quickly she could have been killed. I work with stallions everyday but I stay aware that he is a stallion. The temperment of the horse along with pedigree and conformation determines whether or not to geld. Just BE CAREFUL and good luck. Let us know how it goes.

rc":2mw0e7rz said:
Without seeing what you are about and what you are dealing with no one can really tell you if you can or can't do this. What I can tell you is that I have seen, first hand, experienced trainers get hurt handling stallions. A horse bite can take the muscle out of your arm. I had a friend (female) working a stallion in a round pen when he turned on her bite into her chest, picked her up and started just slinging her around. Had it not been for others getting in there quickly she could have been killed. I work with stallions everyday but I stay aware that he is a stallion. The temperment of the horse along with pedigree and conformation determines whether or not to geld. Just BE CAREFUL and good luck. Let us know how it goes.

I can relate to that attack you witnessed, I also saw one very close to that type. A young girl had just finished working her stud in a round pen and was putting his halter on. He grabbed her by the arm and picked her up like a rag doll, slung her around and threw her on the ground, grabbed her again and did the same thing. I and others saw her get grabbed the first time and he got her twice before we could get in the round pen and get her out. Death comes quick. Another one, I didn't see but I worked with the guy, stud bit him ripping off his breast and part of the shoulder muscles.

When I working or handling any stud I'm always on my toes.

Alan

My vet would probably get up in the middle of the night to get to geld a horse. His saying is one stallion, per breed, per state. I'm not that bad on em' but lots of folks have fantasies about keeping a stallion. Show me a good stallion and I'll show you an excellant gelding.

Latest posts